British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 98 Posts
I wont do that - no offence, but I wont charge for something that can be used by someone who needs it..and i have no need for it and want to give it away.

To make it fair to everyone then, perhaps there should be no free stuff allowed in the classifieds. If it's free, there is a minimum charge, which is a donation to BCA. Then everyone wins right and we have a standing donation to BCA.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Dont worry i dont need to get banned for telling what i think and for complaining on something think is not right i will go myself but i will say what i think cause i have freedom of speach

Don't leave the forum, it would be our loss. Just ignore it and go about your business. Even if the item was for sale and you were snapping them up it shouldn't be an issue, nevermind when they are free.

I have a feeling all this is going to do is split the forum, as those who feel Claudia has done nothing wrong will just offer their free stuff to her first, then post it if she doesn't want it. I know I will do that whenever I have free stuff from now on.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
For the record some free stuff has been taken when i actually get respnd from pms so i dont really get everything

you dont need to justify yourself claudia..really..i think most people on here who know you are shaking their heads to this whole thing. I think the mods need to have a talk amongst themselves to figure this all out. To come down on you was wrong, and we all know that. :)

Now... im waiting for my PM :)

Wow
The flavor of the forum sure has changed a lot recently, & definitely not for the good.
Claudia, I can't believe you would even be called out on this.
If the others don't spend as much time on here & miss out, too fricken bad!!
1st come 1st served. Free or not it shouldn't matter.
Used to love the integrity of the forum with the 1st to respond getting 1st chance. Not always the case now. OBO seems to mean members trying to outbid each other to get the item being listed. What happened to 1st to respond gets 1st kick at the can??? I guess we're turning into CL, Yay!!!! :rolleyes: Sorry didn't mean to rant on another new trend developing on the forum.
Good for you Claudia or should I say "Quickdraw Mcgraw"!!! LOL
No complaints from my end, cept you're awfully quick my dear!!
To those complaining, maybe spend a little more time on the forum & increase your chances of seeing the free deals 1st. That's the way it works.
I guess some folks just need Drama :rolleyes:
Sorry to hear this is happening to you Claudia.
Your always in good standing as far as I'm concerned. :)
Cheers!!!!

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Oh no i dont want anybody splitting but i think this is a little bit stupid and really hurt me, I only have my income which is not much but i try to b still in the hobby as is something i do for myself. I dont apreciate people telling me what to do with the stuff i get either, (just got another pm) is the way things are say in the pm i guess but oh well. I will not take anything for free anymore and if anybody needs a list of stuff oi have done or gave away well let me know, i dont usually tell people what i do to help other people but if is necesary i will pm the info i guess

Since I have been also ranting - i also want to make a note that if anyone else was treated like this that I am sure this same convo amongst members would have happened..

the entire situation is uncalled for - regardless of who it is about..

Is also the way that things were said in the pm, i have nothing against the mod but it did hurt.
This is what i got...

Friendly suggestion...
Would you mind laying off on snapping up all the freebies posted on BCA? It's starting to annoy a lot of people (who then complain to us mods) & giving you a negative rep as a cheapskate who only wants free stuff all the time.

It's not a big deal but just letting you know that this "habit" of grabbing everything free offered here whether you actually need it or will use it is something frequently brought up (and not in a good way). I've noticed that people even "joke" about "where's Claudia" as soon as something free is posted since everyone knows you'll be swooping in to grab the free stuff, regardless of what it is. It may sound like good natured joking around, but having a rep as the BCA cheapskate is not really a great rep to have.

Sorry to be such a downer.

This is what i wrote back....
When i get something is because i need it or cause i could use it, i dont get stuff just cause is free, many times i have seen free stuff and i dont take it cause i dont need it. As for people complaining tell them to come to me, no one have an idea of my situation, i got asalted by my husband in novemeber 5 days later i got surgery, we almost didnt have a place to stay for xmas as i didnt have the money to pay rent i got so sick cause of stress and now i am living with 1700 a month doing everything by myself with my 3 kids so when i see soemthing free i take it and i also buy. I dont take a reputation as cheap or anything like that i have seen it as fast typer or something like that but oh well. I am gonna stop writing cause this is upsetting me and i am crying while typing.
This is truly the most ridiculous comment I have heard on here.

If the stuff is free and you are the first to ask for it, then so long as the person giving it away is still willing to give it to you, its yours.

If others have issues with it, they can be the first to respond or maybe send the person giving the stuff away a pm explaining why they might have special circumstances why they really need it and can't afford it.

As for the number of postings for stuff being given away vs stuff received, that dosen't work. I have given away lots of stuff through pm and not through posting.

If a moderator's job is to "police" who gets free stuff on here then the process should be that no one can give away stuff, its donated to the site and the mods decide on their own who to give it away to. If that isn't the idea of the e-mail to Claudia telling her to back off, then all those who are complaining need to grow up and either come on this site more or go buy the stuff.

I don't think I have ever seen a post from Claudia selling something that she has got for free, which is more than you can say for one person who I gave some plants away too a few years ago who then posted it up for sale on the site the next day!! If Claudia had been first then, I would still be posting on here giving stuff away for free instead of doing it through pm's, only to people I know or that other people I trust on here know.

In all the time I have been on this site, this is truly the most disappointing and disheartening thread I have read on here and it makes me wonder whether to come on here anymore :eek:

As a relatively new member here - want to throw my 2 cents worth in. While browsing the daily posts I have often seen your name, MOST commonly with offers to assist other people. Though we haved not had any direct dealing yet, based on what I've seen so far, I'll second what budahrox says!!!

I waited until I saw a few responses to this thread before speaking up. I know both the mod who sent Claudia the pm and Claudia , and consider them both friends. I think the pm she got was way out of line. There are members of this forum that can be thankful I am not a mod .. I'm afraid there are many times both members and mods would get a blast of flak from me for "tight knickers" or just plain childishness.. Lisa ( ibenu) you don't know the half of it .. Claudia's only mistake was to respond on the forum to an offer of free stuff. She should have used pms only. I know free stuff she has gotten was used by her , or passed on free to others.. I also know of members here who have gotten free stuff.... and then turned around and sold it on C/L, Kijiji, and even on the forum in the case of some fish.
The pm was sent and replied to... I'm glad it has stirred up a minor hornets nest here .. The forum needs that once in a while.

Wow, this thread has sure turned ugly. I think it's very clear that the majority of people in this thread are okay with the first-come-first-served policy in the classifieds section and I don't think that this should be changed.

But, let's look at this from another side, the moderators on this forum have a very difficult task - their job is to moderate. Looking the word up in the dictionary, it is defined as "avoiding extremes of behavior or expression : observing reasonable limits"

I don't think the moderators were seeking to single out Claudia at all - that's why the message was sent PRIVATELY and not aired in public for all to read. I think that the intent of the message to her was to try to encourage her to share the free items with a number of users who are not so fortuitous to be on the forum at all times. Claudia does indeed jump at a lot of free items on the board, and there is nothing stopping her from doing so.

While I am truly supportive of the first-come-first-served nature of the classifieds, I think the private message was to merely encourage sharing and to avoid extremes - in my humble opinion, this is what moderators are supposed to do. The tone of the message, however, was way out of line.

ok, well here goes. wow. this is sad. knowing her personally aside, there r many times I would rather give to Claudia for free, something I could sell. I know that livestock I give to her will be cared for. If I am giving something away, I want it picked up quickly. Claudia is reliable that way. I can't count how many times I have advertised for a nominal fee high quality stock, only to be told I live too far away or that they want it but can't come for a week and can I hold it. In many of the posts picked out from above...there are several replies. This would indicate to me that others wanting the stuff r not as accomodating. I have been one of those who curse her flying fingers. But it is in jest as I believe the others who mock her mean no ill will. Fortunatley, I am in a position to buy what I need. When i have advertised tanks for sale because they have taken over my porch...it was claudia who offered to come clean it up for me. for free.
when i wanted to buy livestock but was first come first served, Claudia would buy them and pick them up for me...for free. I was gonna throw away some gravel, but she took it home and was cleaning it up to post on the forum...for free. I do not see any threads from Claudia lf :ff. I for one am glad Claudia shared this with us. i would hate for anyone to receive such a cold pm and not feel they can rely on the membership for moral support.

im 17 and we dont use reputations LOL

like my name says I SAVE up!

ITS just fish! HAHAHA claudia has 5 FLAT screens TVS in her house so i recomment to be quiet!

WHO doesnt love free stuff my momma is good at her thing
STOP putting her down cuz she already have her own problems

I WOKE UP to my mom talking on the phone about this THIS IS STUPID ITS JUST FISH WHO GIVES A DAM!! my mom doesnt no i signed up for this soo dont blame her for having her 17 year old backing her up
u guys are wayy OLDER than ME soo grow up!!

and i always bug my mom how stupid it is to be on this website (not to be mean)
people here obviously see the beauty on fishes and i dont see that to mee their fish that live for a year ... to mee their just the pets every kid dont care about .. so i hope you see were im coming from

thank u veryy much!

21 - 40 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.