British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I found this while browsing and I thought it would be good for the ones that have too much lol.
Duckweed (Lemna spp.) Lemna trisulca L.

Duckweed is a green slime that covers ponds in mid summer. Upon close inspection, the green water cover is a small plant called duckweed from the family Lemnaceae. The root hairs suck nutrients from the water. Duckweed is edible.

Food Preparation: Blend it in your favorite soup recipe. Make certain you puree the duckweed and cook it because it is tough and may be harvested from polluted water. In is best in cream soups.

Recipe: DUCKWEED SOUP

Wash duckweed thoroughly. Recipe feeds four.

-One cup of broccoli

-Chop a 2 cups of leeks.

-One cup of celery.

-One cup of broccoli

-Two tablespoons of chopped Oriental ginger

-One large vegetable bullion cube.

-Two tablespoons of soy sauce

-One tablespoon of sesame seed oil

-One cup of low fat sour cream

Saute in a cup of water and two tablespoons of olive oil the duckweed and vegetables. Cook at a simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool. Then puree in a blender. Add the pureed vegetables to the pan, stir in two cups of water, the bullion cube, sesame oil and soy. Raise heat. Then stir in the cup of sour cream. Adjust seasoning to taste. I sometimes add a tablespoon of fine chili sauce or satay sauce. Serve hot.

Taken from: http://www.herbvideos.com/ewpindex.htm

·
Registered
916 Posts
LOL duckweed soup. :D...don't stop there ! ...I wonder if you could use it in cookies,tea or brownies?It is a weed afterall ;)...I know ...its to early for this :p

The only part the recipe doesn't have is the amount of duckweed you use...1/2 teaspoon or 6 pounds ?

I tossed some in my 180 tank,and my fish ate it all :confused:...

HAPPY MONDAY EVWRYONE !!!!

bill

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey why not... people eat dandelion and watercress! The 'harvested from polluted water' part is kind of a turn off (and what if you get a pond snail in it?) but all these problems are eliminated when you are growing it yourself :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
Recipe: DUCKWEED SOUP

Wash duckweed thoroughly. Recipe feeds four.

-One cup of broccoli

-Chop a 2 cups of leeks.

-One cup of celery.

-One cup of broccoli

-Two tablespoons of chopped Oriental ginger

-One large vegetable bullion cube.

-Two tablespoons of soy sauce

-One tablespoon of sesame seed oil

-One cup of low fat sour cream
so is it 2 cups of broccoli or is that a typo?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
while researching my tilapia project I bumped into a university site that said that duckweed contained 40% protein and most edible- it is only a fern, after all.

cool post, thanks:)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
LOL duckweed soup. :D...don't stop there ! ...I wonder if you could use it in cookies,tea or brownies?It is a weed afterall ;)...I know ...its to early for this :p

The only part the recipe doesn't have is the amount of duckweed you use...1/2 teaspoon or 6 pounds ?

I tossed some in my 180 tank,and my fish ate it all :confused:...

HAPPY MONDAY EVWRYONE !!!!

bill
i got some from Candy in with the hornwort and the africans ate it all too, they love the stuff.

i think its what tilapia are sposed to be fed in fish farms too

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i think its what tilapia are sposed to be fed in fish farms too
mine ate it literally by the bucket full- couldn't keep them stocked in it. about 3 months aftr I moved one of them inside, she stopped eating it. she takes in mouthfuls, extracts whatever is growing in amongst it, then spits it out again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts