British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figure I mind as we'll start a tank log for my newest project... The "topless edge"

As you may have guessed I cut the top off of a 6g fluval edge leaving me with a nice rimless nano

Light: finnex planted plus
Substrate: fluval stratum
Filter: zoomed 501 with lily pipes
Co2: 20oz paintball with aquatek reg
Plants... So far my plan is HC not sure about the rest yet
Future inhabitants: shrimp of a yet to be decided species

Current layout... Subject to change

·
Registered
514 Posts
what type of plants? what is hc?

those edges are beautiful but i really think chopping the top off is a great idea

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I like the first layout because once the plants fill in you will still be able too see the rocks. Usually the hardscape gets overtaken by plants so I prefer the taller look with the rocks. Doesnt need to be that exact layout.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nice work, but if i may add the following.

You should decide which is your focal rock and have it stand tallest, sitting about 2/3 the length and depth of the tank. Then decide which part of that stone you want to be the focus, and have that situated about 2/3 from the height of the tank. Once that is established, build the smaller supporting stones around the focal stone.

The way the stones lean should also help to emphasize the strength of the focal stone. Leaning with the focal stone will create a sense of harmony. Leaning opposite can be dynamic and striking, but can also appear odd. Try to achieve a balance.

Finally, I suggest adding a fifth stone to strengthen the asymmetry. Even numbers of stones, although grouped asymmetrically still appear too whole and ordered, which scapes in nature never are. This is also why stones are never placed in the centre of a tank. Going to odd numbered stones will help throw off this 'order' and 'balance.' Also, 4 is a really bad luck number in Japanese culture, which is what iwagumi is rooted in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would stick to same kind of stone. Mixing in another kind would look odd i think.

In the end, you are the one enjoying the tank so as long as you are comfy with it, it's all good.

Scape layout is so much fun. I think i went through 2 months and 4 or 5 sets of stones and various configurations of each before I finalized too.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have up on changing my mind :p

I only really want to dsm it long enough to root. If I was to put a tad bit if water in the bottom and mist it every day or two how long ish would it take to root in before I can fill?

·
Registered
514 Posts
looks great, what is the name of that moss? the common name

·
Registered
514 Posts
hc stand for something?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts