British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hubby is heading up to the Yukon for some out of town work for awhile. :( There just doesn't seem to be any jobs here in the lower mainland.
Hes a fire sprinkler installer by trade (also a Machinist) - if anyone knows of any local work we would love to hear about it ;)
Hes short a few hours of having his ticket but once hes obtained the rest of the hours he will be ticketed!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha thanks April - its just a temp one for now... I have a friend building me one that will have a shopping cart feature and all that fun stuff.
For the most part right now I sell mainly through my FaceBook fan page :)

Though I will be at the Coquitlam Canada Day Fair at Lafarge Lake selling my jewellery.

The job up in the Yukon is good money but its 11 hours days for 21 days straight then hes home for a week and goes back and does it all again.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
well sounds like a good idea for now..to get ahead. the yukon thing. hes young..just harder for you with 3 kids alone.
id buy some of your jewellery..but you know..lol. none..ill show your website to my friend who loves...jewellery.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Trades are doing rather poorly here, When the construction cranes go up around the city, then we'll know its picking up. Thats always been the indicator of good economic growth.

Im an electrician for institutional, commercial and industrial construction, Being in the union here lets you keep a closer eye on how the market is picking up, since every dispatch is logged and numbers tallied in vs out each month. Its been rather grim lately though with numbers going out rarely rising above 1 or 2 a week. Out of town, well alberta is going slow right now aswell, the calls aren't coming in.

I've been off work since december, which puts me about halfway on the dispatch list, so im hoping the projects break ground before the end of fall. I've got the options to go out of town, but i remember my father (also electrician) doing the same in the late 80s, won't do that to my kids unless we'll be evicted and thrown on the street.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, there are some great benefits to working out of town, well one at least. He should be able to make 6 figures as a minimum, which after a couple of years is a nice downpayment on a home ...

Not YKZ by chance ...

·
Registered
327 Posts
any trade, even CLAC will ...

·
Registered
327 Posts
it is that which I speak of and yes, I would largely agree, but most of the large construction primes are CLAC certified. But a CLAC carp will make a base of 6 with a min of 7X10 and typically do 12s....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The co. hes working for is Gisborn Group - they are union but I dont know anything about which one or anything.
They are paying him what he deserves and the good money being made is due to all the overtime - he will be working 21 days straight 11 hour days then hes home for 7 days and back out again etc.
They will also be giving us med/dental after 150 hours or something pay RRSPs and pay your MSP which is huge when you have 3 little kids ;)

Also we own our house I was fortunate enough to buy into the market 8 years ago when it was attainable ..... but this could help us in our hopes to sell our townhouse and buy a house :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
yes, that is who I was thought it was, I was up there for a bit. They have closer projects coming up, so the rotations could get better, but it is still a great opportunity.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
CLAC is not a union. They may legally be considered a union by many provinces, but their actions, practices and how they are run go against what a union is meant to stand for. They know this and flaunt the legal loop hole that's made them seen as one... At the International Open Shop Conference, CLAC was a sponsor. A conference for companies who wish to stay non union or wish to stop employees from joining a union of their choice.

http://www.thetruthaboutclac.ca

I may be a union member raised in a union family, but i personally have no issues with companies wishing to remain open shop and people wishing to remain in the open shop market. Many companies in the open shop treat their employees great and have equal benefits (or close to) as union. But CLAC defaces what it means to be in a union, which has made them despised by the whole labour movement.

Rather than move forward with Worker's Rights, they have things like Reduced overtime (longer you work the less you make an hour), substandard work conditions, and the use of improperly trained underpaid workers. They have little regard for laws of the jurisdiction they are working in. They pretty much have acted like the shady employer unions use to convince people to join them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Your opening statement is somewhat contradictory and this thread is getting off topic from the OP.

Fact is that there are many lame duck full fledged unions out there as well as CLAC, which I am not a fan of. Fact is that it is no more easier/harder to decertify CLAC than any other union. Fact is that they largely dominate the construction industry in Western Canada and membership is a requirement to work in the industry for most larger sized construction companies. Fact, a CLAC tradesman at YKZ will be making an easy 6 figures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well - we shall see how it goes... he got on the plane today :(
but again if anyone hears of anything local - let me know :)

they did say there would be some work in Kamloops coming up soon - thats a bit closer then northern yukon!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Its very unfortunate that most of us are still out of jobs. I've been searching for the past 6 months...(not trades though). Its hard to land a good job during this time. I really pray that your husband finds a good job locally soon.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Jessica,

My mother knows your situation well. She raised 3 boys while my father was out of town working. She made do, we all survived and turned into good people. She always said that the short term pains when you are younger yield long term gains later. Keep it up and always look at the light at the end of the tunnel. btw Jessica Rae is a great name for a line of jewelry.

Steve

1 - 20 of 38 Posts