British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be moving everything into a bigger tank. just wanted to know how others have done it? should I fill the tank with water and let it sit for a day?add some old tank water?should I move everything at once?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Set-up the new tank as you would like it to look like, use the old filter you have which is running in your stable tank for a few days and you should be good after that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i would add some of the water from the tank that is running already into the new tank, use the same filter for the new on also ( dont clean it for a good few weeks)... thats what i'd do. so then the water/filter would have the bacteria... just to make sure that the water and stuff would be safe.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I would "age " any new water for a few days before introducing the water and equipment from the other tank. I would also make sure the temp of the new tank water and the old tank water are within a few degrees so as not to shock the bacteria in the filter from the old tank.
ditto on not cleaning the filter much for a few weeks also

·
Registered
485 Posts
I use 50% of the water they were in, then add new once they are in new home, leaving all media as is.. Then its just like a regular water change for them.

If you can do it instantly say add the 30 gallons and contents to a 60g tank then slowly add the new water? Substrate last as you can rinse it well in dechlorinated water and add a small bucket at a time without sullying water in new tank... this had worked for me when moving up, but it has been with hardy healthy angels...

Good luck and yeah on getting a bigger tank!!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I'd just move the substrate and anything else you want to the new tank, fill it with new water at the correct temperature, add some declorinator, and turn everything on, then add the fish. No bacteria in the water, its all in the filter and on the surface of decorations.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright , so im going from a 120 to a 210. today i removed half of the sand and water to the new tank. added new water and primed it, setup a heater and an aq 110 from the old tank. should i be good to move everything else tomarrow?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts