British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Tropica Nano C02 System

9K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Shrimplover 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I was thinking about this for my 6 gallon, but decided to go with a 20 oz paintball set up. It lasts 9 months at 1 bps and I think the tropica would only last a couple of months.
I may be wrong, but I think you are stuck with getting their tanks and can't hook it up to different types of bottles.

#10 ·
Where are people in the Vancouver area refilling C02 tanks, any idea how much a 24 oz paintball canister would cost to refill? It seems more of the paintball places are switching to HPA. Thanks!

Anyone use the Tropica Nano C02 system and prefer it over a paintball system?

#11 ·
About $8 at the paintball store in New Westminster called Badlands.I would just get a 5lb co2 tank and regulator if you can afford it.In the long run you will not regret it.Paintball often have co2 leaking issues and the regulators are almost the same price as the regular size co2 tank.You also don't have to refill them all the time.I have used both and had no issues with a 5 lb tank and normal tank regulator.I bought mine at J&L Aquatics.You are also limited to were you can refill the paintball canister.You also wait longer for the fillup if the owner is dealing with another customer.

Reactions: _noob and Dou
#12 · (Edited)
If you're serious about a planted tank, you won't regret getting a co2 cylinder and regulator with solenoid =). I completely agree with Jousters. I do my hydro testing and co2 refilling at ACME Fire Safety or Pat from Canadian Aquatics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Update - Amazon stopped stocking the aquatek mini c02 regulator recently so I picked up the tropica nano system. I'm hoping to find an adapter so I can use the tropica regulator and a paintball system to avoid the expensive co2 bottles. Anyone know what adapter fits and use the tropica nano?

#16 ·
Update - well here's my take on the tropica nano plant growth system. It's expensive but I found on one sale which helped. This was my first attempt at pressurized c02 and considered the aquatek mini paintball regulator but after reading some negative reviews decided to hold off on that Amazon purchase.

The tropica system didn't have any instructions, although I had watched the video online, it's pretty easy to set up. I soaked the ceramic diffuser for 24 hours as it suggested, the first day I got a ton of large bubbles and was worried it had a leak, I adjusted it several times but still very large bubbles. However it seems it just needed more time to saturate as 72 hours later it's nothin but tiny micro bubbles. I have found the sweet spot to get the bubble count I want, I took a jiffy marker to mark the knob so I can tell what position it should be, especially because you have to turn it on/off every day.

I'm using a fluval edge 6 gallon so it's a fairly small tank. Not sure how long the tank will last but I've already looked into adapters online that I can hopefully connect to the tropica regulator to a paintball container as the tropica canisters are 30-35 bucks a piece. I read one person who said hydra aquatic paintball adapter worked for the tropica nano online so that may be my next upgrade. I will say the tiny tanks blend in nicely and don't take up a lot of space. The quality of the pieces, the 3/1 diffuser and regulator are nice.

Plants are responding well to the c02, I'm attempting hc, UG and Glosso now that I have c02.

#17 ·
Hi! I'm actually in a very similar situation with an Edge and recently being given a tropica regulator. Did you ever find a definitive answer about an adapter and if so where did you buy one? Or are you still using the tropica tanks and how long do they last?

Much appreciated!

#18 ·
hey I did end up buying an adaptor off amazon, however have not gotten around to installing it to the tropica regulator and paintball cannister. Still using the tropica co2 system, but I took out CO2 as I didn't want to risk killing my shrimp since I didn't have a solenoid.

If i decide to change things up I may put the C02 system back in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.