1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Are they actual holes, is there depth to them?

If they are holes it's probably the start of shell rot. Take your turtle out, dry him off, and smell where the holes are. If they smell foul/rotting that's one sign of shell rot. I've never dealt with shell rot myself, so I'm unsure what is the best treatment. I do know that it would require some type of medication and the tank water being kept very clean.

If they aren't holey, do you think it could be a build up of mineral deposit?

I would suggest going onto the Reptiles Canada Forum and making a thread because there's a large number of turtle keepers there who can give their opinions and advice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Turtles need to be able to get to an area where they are completely dry. If they can't, their shell starts to rot (like in the picture).

Add calcium to the water and make sure there is a dry area for the turtle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turtles need to be able to get to an area where they are completely dry. If they can't, their shell starts to rot (like in the picture).

Add calcium to the water and make sure there is a dry area for the turtle.
Calcium has also been added. We have floating dock for him but we've also started to let him roam free around the condo for half an hour or so every day (to dry out). Hopefully it will help

·
Registered
195 Posts
and position him near his heat lamp from time to time maybe? try and buy some cuttle fish bone for his tank, he can chew that and itll supplement calcium

1 - 6 of 6 Posts