British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my journal for keeping track of my two Fluval Specs. Both are works in progress.

TANK: Fluval Spec 2 Gal x 2
FAUNA: Spec 1 - Aphyosemion australe Killifish Pair
Spec 2 - Halfmoon Betta
FLORA: Anubias Nana, Staurogyne repens, Rotala, Bacopa, Duckweed, Salvania, Java Moss
HARDSCAPE: Manzanita, river stones
SUBSTRATE: ADA Amazonia
LIGHT: JANSO Ikea light - will be upgrading soon.
DOSING: Seachem Iron, Potassium, Nitrogen, Flourish and Excel

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if anyone has advice on how to grow a success moss wall I would love to hear it!

For the moss wall I started with a simple Michael's craft mesh and Java moss with suction cups. It was super easy, but all the tutorials I've seen show java moss sandwiched between 2 layers of mesh and then attached to the wall. I only used one layer of mesh and sandwiched the java moss between the mesh and the back wall of the tank because I couldn't fit 2 layers on suction cup due to the thickness.

Just hope it grows. I'm still waiting for my Tom's light so right now it's low low light with my Ikea lamp and the far sides aren't lit very well. Good news is the Betta has already stopped flaring at the back of the tank with the mesh up.

Anyone have suggestions on the moss wall? take it apart and use a finer mesh at the back?

·
Registered
399 Posts
It will grow. Mine won't stop and i have to trim it every week. Just make sure to cut the top of the wall shorter, so the bottom can get some light.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Beautiful tanks, Atom! The mess looks like it was always meant to be there. What kind of substrate are you using? The substrate goes very well with those rocks.

I am going to rescape my Spec soon... really.... I'm not just saying that... lol.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Both tanks look great. The mesh on the back wall looks surprisingly good. Thought it would look a lot worse until the moss grew in, but not so.

This gives you more options too... you can keep it all a moss wall, or you could add some annubias or ferns to any spot growing out amongst the moss. These tanks could prove to be a very interesting project.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I have to admit the mesh does look like it's part of the tank. I thought it would be a bit jarring at first, but it blends in well.

Anyone have suggestions for a plant that I could use to turn my stump on the right tank into a tree? I'm thinking Subbwastertang or even just some leaves of anubias. I could use moss but would it blend in with the wall too much when it grows in?

Hah, I would love to make a moss, plant wall like these: http://www.casadevalentina.com.br//_midias/jpg/4e8cc539e9136-14.jpg

·
Registered
188 Posts
The subbwastertang, I believe it's the same as pelia, caused a bit of a mystery I have not yet solved. I moved a fist sized bunch from my shrimp tank into my planted rainbow tank and it disappeared completely - not a trace left. I may try it again, though will have to watch it more closely I guess.

If you want a wall like that, you may need to start on a tad larger scale, and then go up, lol.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Subwassertang doesn't really attach to anything in my experience. It just eventually seems to get tangled in whatever you're trying to attach it to. I've had it in my 20 gallon for over a year now and the stuff not snagged by the wood and Anubias still floats around.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flygirl, strange that it just disappeared! Do you think it was eaten?

Perhaps if I can tie it down with some fishing line it would stop it from floating around.

There are some nice Subwassertang trees on google. Really makes me want to try one, but I'm afraid it will get too big for the tank and block out the light so perhaps not.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I wonder what a Subwassertang wall would look like...hmm...I believe it's low light correct? I could sew the Subwassertang onto the mesh wall with fishing line.

2wheelsx2, you should definitely try a tree. Would love to see it.
Yes, low light, almost no light in some areas in my 20.
I have a piece of wood in mind and I'ell try it. Time to google up some pics.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Looks good.

Ive always found the mesh size too small for my liking. I would like to find one with a 1 inch mesh.

One way to attach the mesh to the back wall is to use one of those magnetic algae scrapers. I do that to attach a piece of plastic to the outside of one end of a 25 gallon. I use it as a shade blind during the summer months when the evening sun hits the tank. It works great if you dont mind seeing the magnet on the inside of the tank.

·
Registered
399 Posts
@Flygirl, some fish eat pelia, maybe your fish did?

As for the moss idea on the stump, as the moss gross it, it will attach itself to the stump.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Flygirl, strange that it just disappeared! Do you think it was eaten?

Perhaps if I can tie it down with some fishing line it would stop it from floating around.

There are some nice Subwassertang trees on google. Really makes me want to try one, but I'm afraid it will get too big for the tank and block out the light so perhaps not.
@Flygirl, some fish eat pelia, maybe your fish did?

As for the moss idea on the stump, as the moss gross it, it will attach itself to the stump.
Could have been I guess... though none of the other plants were ever bothered, and there are many different kinds. Maybe there is something about pelia that is especially appetizing :confused:

I have a number of "stump trees" in my tank that I have planted both moss and anubias on. The moss makes it look pretty cool, the anubias have all dropped their roots down vertically from the branches giving it a sort of "jurrasic" feel.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could have been I guess... though none of the other plants were ever bothered, and there are many different kinds. Maybe there is something about pelia that is especially appetizing :confused:

I have a number of "stump trees" in my tank that I have planted both moss and anubias on. The moss makes it look pretty cool, the anubias have all dropped their roots down vertically from the branches giving it a sort of "jurrasic" feel.
Pelia does like a bit like seasweed so maybe they wanted sushi.

That looks great! I love the dangling roots, but my Anubias roots always grow in all sorts of directions. Yours looks nice and straight. I love the look of your jungle...very Avatar.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Looks good.

Ive always found the mesh size too small for my liking. I would like to find one with a 1 inch mesh.

One way to attach the mesh to the back wall is to use one of those magnetic algae scrapers. I do that to attach a piece of plastic to the outside of one end of a 25 gallon. I use it as a shade blind during the summer months when the evening sun hits the tank. It works great if you dont mind seeing the magnet on the inside of the tank.
Yes, I find the mesh size is a little small too. Perhaps home depot might have some sort of larger screen mesh. I should try there next time.

Did you use super strong silver earth magnets?

-------

I picked up a small portion of subwastertang today. I'm tempted to make one mesh a Java Moss wall and the other a Subwastertang wall. I've seen a picture of one online, but not sure how they did it. Should I super glue (assuming its safe) the plant to the mesh or sew it in with thread? Opinions?

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83193&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1236150016

1 - 20 of 25 Posts