British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to site how yall doing.hi have a brother who is living in chiang mia thailand teaching english.is there any fish there worth bringing into bc that i couls possibly resell or unique fish not available here for my own tank?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
hi im new to site how yall doing.hi have a brother who is living in chiang mia thailand teaching english.is there any fish there worth bringing into bc that i couls possibly resell or unique fish not available here for my own tank?
Lots of work and capital invested in importing fish but Thailand has lots to offer! I ordered from Thailand a few times and their stingrays are awesome. I went to Chang Mai and didn't see as many ornamental fish there than Bangkok. If he hasn't been to Chatuchak market yet, it is an eye opener for sure!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can he purchase fish in market and send over or does it have to be done thru export co.how much to send a box to vancouver.they have nice pix of discus but photoshop might be involved.the online guys want 5 box orders wonder if they couuld send smaller load over or it might not be worthit.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Not worth it to send anything less than 5 boxes. There is a lot of paper work and fees involved. Shipping is very expensive as well.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I think unless you import for personal use, non commercial, then the customs/documentation isn't nearly as difficult. Shipping still can be pricey obviously so i really wouldn't do anything unless it's high dollar rare fish.

Sent from my gigantic Samsung Note 2

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for advice.its too bad cause brother in thai went gaga when he saw fish market.maybe he can bring some back.could get hassled by canada customs.i brought 6 bags of fish up from seattle.they took 1 bag at blaine border saying i had too many and might be reselling.was picking up for buddies.anyway thats for another thread.thanks again dt

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I wonder what they do with the fish when they take a bag from you at the border. probably a fish keeping border guard who liked what they saw lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
idk.i didnt see any tanks to put em in.they were in bag for almost 3 hrs.he seemed to know an awful lot about it.so ya maybe took home.he picked the most expensive red severums.good thing didnt have rays with me.had on front seat in plain view.since then put in trunk and np.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
You need import permit and business license etc to import now unless personal use...and your shipping would exceed the fish if for personal. Also need an export license from Thailand and Heslth vet check etc. hence the fish in Canada are expensive. Shipping is a well over a thousand to 3k . Need minimum 100 kilo to get lower shipping fee.also need proper packing and that comes with fees also. The fish are cheap..but that's not where the price comes into play for buying fish in Canada. It's the expense to get them here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts