British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I entered my lfs yesterday with dark intentions, a fish-in-cycle for two recently purchased 30g tanks. I asked for a hardy fish and the employee scooped up about 70 guppy/endler bastards(not bad looking fish).

I want to do what ever I can to make the process as quick and painless as it can be.

What I've done so far:

-seeded with my established tanks sponge filter
-added a good amount of plants
-mixed old bio media with new seachem matrix and Eheim Ehfisubstrat Pro
-dosing seachem stability and nutrafin cycle(both the internet tells me are useless)
-put trays filled with my established tanks sand in the new tanks

Is this an alright plan? Any tips?
Water Pet supply Fluid Plant Wood Plant Food Food storage containers Ingredient Wood

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
So I entered my lfs yesterday with dark intentions, a fish-in-cycle for two recently purchased 30g tanks. I asked for a hardy fish and the employee scooped up about 70 guppy/endler bastards(not bad looking fish).

I want to do what ever I can to make the process as quick and painless as it can be.

What I've done so far:

-seeded with my established tanks sponge filter
-added a good amount of plants
-mixed old bio media with new seachem matrix and Eheim Ehfisubstrat Pro
-dosing seachem stability and nutrafin cycle(both the internet tells me are useless)
-put trays filled with my established tanks sand in the new tanks

Is this an alright plan? Any tips?
You've done this perfectly. You don't need the sacrificial fish. You have introduced old filter media and substrate. It's good to go. Contrary to what people think, you don't cycle the water, you cycle the media and in your case you have cycled media. Your fish will be fine. The only mistake people make (including myself in the past) and introducing too many fish at once because the media doesn't have a sufficient culture to manage the bioload but that's true of any filter new or old.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I cycled my first tank, and I overkill my canister filters with bio media... so I just take the media from one and put to a new tank if I'm setting one up...instant cycle. I think you will be more than fine if you have got at least 50% cycled media to start with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts