British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since no one replied, and planted tank forum people are a lot more helpful, I did some testing on the rock this morning.

After testing, my conclusion is that this kind of rock or this rock in particular will raise water pH, gh, kh quite a bit. A paste of the rock was tested to be approximately pH 8.9 and explosive fizzing when added a weak acid to the dust or pulp of the rock.

This kind of rock is not suitable for soft water tank over a long period of time but much more suitable for a cichlids tank that prefers higher pH and harder water.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If it's concrete on it, maybe soak it in water for few days, change the water, soak it again.
Do it several times.
That's what most people do with DIY concrete backgrounds =)

Good luck~ Smart people should chime in soon!!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Some people may cut out Styrofoam, silicone it to a glass tank, whip some quick mix concrete, and then dry it. After the concrete hardens, they pour water in the tank and let it soak for the day, if the PH is measured, it's above norm. Therefore, they would fill and drain quite a few times before they use that background. Hope that made a little more sense, but if it's concrete, it will eventually and slowly creep down.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some people may cut out Styrofoam, silicone it to a glass tank, whip some quick mix concrete, and then dry it. After the concrete hardens, they pour water in the tank and let it soak for the day, if the PH is measured, it's above norm. Therefore, they would fill and drain quite a few times before they use that background. Hope that made a little more sense, but if it's concrete, it will eventually and slowly creep down.
Yeah I tested the rock, it's high in calcite, carbonate. Concrete would have high pH as well.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Well~ If you really want to use that stone (it's a nice stone). Maybe consider throwing it in a bucket and leave it outside. The rain will constantly soak it for you. Let it sit for the month, see if it'll change the readings.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well~ If you really want to use that stone (it's a nice stone). Maybe consider throwing it in a bucket and leave it outside. The rain will constantly soak it for you. Let it sit for the month, see if it'll change the readings.
Don't want to use the stone, just wanted to identify and test it. I've already crushed, splitted and pulverised the rock for testing. I work in a lab.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts