British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Here is a update short video of the cardinal shrimp (from Debbie) foraging on a rock.

Will try to take a few shots of them when they are not hiding.

I had 4 cardinals the other day, last night I found ONE cardinal's head floating around. Probably, there is a fight among shrimps. Who did it? I don't know.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Debbie

Yes, I am sure. I have examined closely under magification, I can see those dots and match the look with the live one. At first, I don't believe.
But, shrimps do have their temper sometimes.

I remember that my golden bees have killed off all my CRS. How do I know?
I am watching..:(

Oh, at the time, I have
5 CRS, 5 yellow, 10 Rudolph shrimps, 8 Cherry, 1 blue pearl, 3 Sulawesi Cardinals, 4 dwarf green in shrimp tank.
6+ amano moved to my community planted tank.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have all species of shrimps mixed in one 10g tank.

I am not interested in breeding, just enjoying the process of keeping them alive and observing their behavior. It is so relaxing watching them. Of course, I don't want to watch them fighting over food or hierarchy. But, that is NATURE, even though they are captived.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new shrimps added.

Just went to Island Pets for Malili Red (1) and Blue Spot (1). It is OK, at least I get 1 of each. When they have more, I will add 3 or 4 more of their kind.

I usually keep no more than 10 of each species.

·
Registered
496 Posts
What are your water patermeters? Just curious as you seem to be able to keep them all alive in the same tank.... props.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are your water patermeters? Just curious as you seem to be able to keep them all alive in the same tank.... props.
Telling you the truth, I never test my water.
In my tank, I have some crushed coral mixed with Shultz Aquasoil (bought from RONA). As you see, a few rocks and cactus woods (from MyKiss) for hiding.
An dwarf anubias, mass of pellia and some mix of flame moss and java moss.
An Indian Almond leave is added after each water change. Water change every 2 - 3 weeks, 25%. Must siphon the aquasoil to avoid bacteria and other waste-related issue. Temp at 18 - 24C, heater is on when light is on.

·
Registered
700 Posts
18-24 C...seems really low for sulawesi shrimp. Pretty SHrimp BTW :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
18-24 C...seems really low for sulawesi shrimp.
I was just thinking that myself. Also, doesn't adding indian almond leaves lower the pH? Or do you have enough crushed coral in there that it doesn't even make a difference. Very nice shrimp tank by the way. Makes me want to keep a tank just for shrimp as well. Aren't you worried about the yellows interbreeding with the cherries though?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
temp issue

At first, I have a same feeling about the temp.
All cherries and CRS are kept at 24C daytime, and the coolest night is 22C.

I know cardinal prefer higher temp. But they survive it.
I used to have 30+ cherries in the community tank with German Rams.
But those Rams love cherries as dessert.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sorry to tell you this Jamit but those shrimps might not last i don't know if the sulawesi will survive with those water conditions, if they were that eassy to put together many shrimp keepers would have done it. I'm saying this because i too am hobbyist like you and i just want to share what i know of the two different shrimps and both require different water parameters IMHO. Well good luck with those shrimp!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just an update on their health after a WC

A few pics.

Whole tank look (Eclipse 1)

Malili shrimp

Rudolph Red Nose shrimp

Cardinal red & blue shrimp

Crystal Red Shrimps

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I took the leave out after soaking for a day. I don't want the water be too acidic.

Temp is 26C right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts