British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just cleaning it, and drain it. My question now is, Has anyone done this and added it in their marine tank? I don't know when it's going to be safe for my tank (scared the cement will kill the fish)? These are very porous rocks. Just don't know when to add them in.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
When I make cement frag plus it takes months to cure them in freshwater before they are ready to use. I put them in a mesh bag and suspend in a toilet tank. That way the water automatically gets changed several times a day.

If you put your rocks in a bucket of freshwater for 24 hours and then test the PH you'll know where you are at. At first they will put the PH off the chart. Once they stop doing that you are good to go.

·
Super Moderator
453 Posts
You must cure the cement until the pH comes down, as mentioned. This can take a period of months depending on the cement mix used. The toilet tank method is a good one.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I make cement frag plus it takes months to cure them in freshwater before they are ready to use. I put them in a mesh bag and suspend in a toilet tank. That way the water automatically gets changed several times a day.

If you put your rocks in a bucket of freshwater for 24 hours and then test the PH you'll know where you are at. At first they will put the PH off the chart. Once they stop doing that you are good to go.
Toilet tank is an awesome idea. Will be getting a mesh bag. ty for the idea.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
are you sure those rocks are porous?

seems like alot of work for a couple lbs.....

I've seen people use cement but they look alot different from this, I've never seen people use this type in the reef tank, why not use lava rock which is 10x more porous and costs cents.....

this is the type most people use....
macro rocks - Google Search

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you sure those rocks are porous?

seems like alot of work for a couple lbs.....

I've seen people use cement but they look alot different from this, I've never seen people use this type in the reef tank, why not use lava rock which is 10x more porous and costs cents.....

this is the type most people use....
macro rocks - Google Search
I'm open to any idea, still have lots of cement..more experiment to do. Lava rock should be interesting. i dunno where to get em' lol.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
lava rock can be found at a variety of garden centers..... But if you are trying to achieve real rock look dont add pebbles, btw how much rock do you plan on having?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
my friend made his own live rock also http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/diy-area-18/140-plywood-update-768/ he was doing water swaps everyday for 3 months and his ph was still off the chart. so last week we took his rock to a stream and let them sit there till he gets back from his vacation in another week and see how that goes.
its insane how much concrete affects ph, we went to a batch plant last week and did some sampling and their discharged water was PH 12.6 before treatment with CO2 lol, thats so freakin basic.

you might be able to speed things up by either putting vinegar in the water to neutralize some of the lime

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
its insane how much concrete affects ph, we went to a batch plant last week and did some sampling and their discharged water was PH 12.6 before treatment with CO2 lol, thats so freakin basic.

you might be able to speed things up by either putting vinegar in the water to neutralize some of the lime
yeah my friend tried that too for a couple of weeks and still was off the chart.

·
Registered
256 Posts
How is the DIY live rock going? I have just made some myself. Using crushed oyster shell and portland cement. I made about 80lbs worth so far. In some tubs of water curing. I just wanted an update on your progress to see if I have wasted my time or not. Mine is hopefully going to be for a 100g FOWLER (predator) tank. May add some to my reef tank once I see how it works. Will add about 30 lbs of "real" live rock to tank first then slowly add DIY ( once fully cured though) I have tried to make as thin and pourouse as possible to help with cure speed.
Would baking soda or powder mixed in cure tank help any...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
my friends was still off the charts so he put it in a different creek and they washed away and smashed. he tries for months to lower the PH, and nothing.

·
Registered
491 Posts
the PH is the trick. The recipe I saw was rock salt, oyster schells, white portland, tho I am sure gray is fine, I am gathering supplies I want to do a batch. I too have wondered how they bring the PH down. what should the PH be at for salt. Once the concrete is hard (24-48 hours) it should be fine, the powder contains linestone.

Is there any way a project like this could be done for a cichlid tank... in place of lace rock, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
the PH is the trick. The recipe I saw was rock salt, oyster schells, white portland, tho I am sure gray is fine, I am gathering supplies I want to do a batch. I too have wondered how they bring the PH down. what should the PH be at for salt. Once the concrete is hard (24-48 hours) it should be fine, the powder contains linestone.

Is there any way a project like this could be done for a cichlid tank... in place of lace rock, just a thought.[/QUOTE

my friend used the exact same thing and the ph was off the charts. maybe if you use less cement the ph will be lower? we couldnt seem to figure it out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
still curing

Have had my first batch curing for about 3 weeks now. The ph is slowly getting lower. I have been doing water changes every 2nd day. I have heard people use rock salt as well in their mix. I thaught at first it was just to create a more pourous rock ( the salt disolves when curing causing more pours) but i googled curing concrete with salt water and it actually makes it cure faster and harder. I have just made a batch with salt ( i am trying water softner salt crushed up to smaller peices) and will see how it compairs to my first batch. I am also wondering if boiling it in water for a few hours will help any.

To answer cichlid the ph should remain at around 8 for saltwater.

·
Registered
491 Posts
if the PH is around 8, then why couldn't this be used for freshwater? I was told this is not good for fresh water. I was going to make some caves for cichlids.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't see why it would be bad for fresh water, as long as it is cured properly and you didn't add anything funky to the mix that will leach out ( plutonium...lol). I am no expert but IMO as long as the "rock" has been cured properly and its not sendind ph through the roof, staying steady at around 8, then as long as the fish can handle that ph it should be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have mine curing in a bin connected to the down spout on my roof. this time of year that means constant water changes. only a few days old so i havent checked ph yet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts