British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

After receiving your feedbacks, I decided to made a second deserted island. This one was more time consuming and it also looked better. I add some white sand, shell and make a little canoe, campfire with some smoke and light effects :bigsmile:. Thanks.

Again, please make sure your speakers are mute :lol:

Hello all, this is my first D.I.Y project for my fish tank. All the moss and plants are real although the whole thing doesn't look realistic, but I will try to make it look more natural on my next one. Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The floating island is a cool idea.

Just be careful keeping crayfish and goldfish together; the crayfish will eventually hurt / possibly kill the goldfish.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestion. I hope I will be able to make a better looking island amd keep all my pet safe and happy :). Have a nice weekend.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Any chance one could copy that idea, add some holes and allow plant roots to get into the tank to help remove nitrites, I wonder?

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
For sure. I've floated veggie seedlings using styrofoam in my koi pond to suck up nitrates from the fish to help keep the water cleaner. With small fish, it would work fine. With my koi, I needed to protect the roots or the fish would chow down on them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I was making the island, I didn't know that it was actually beneficial for the roots to get into the tank. I thought doing so would kill the plants that was why the I separated the plants from the water completely by using three layers of foam.

After that I done with it, I came across some webpages that people grew plants on top of the fish tanks with the roots submerged in the water (aquaponics). At that point I wasn't sure if all the plants were survived that way. Since I've got some recommendations here, I will make my next island looks more realistic by letting the roots submerged in my tank, and by doing so, the island will look a lot better because it will not be so thick (two layers of foam instead of threes). Thanks again for the feedbacks and recommendation everyone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking about using the island as a turtle dock, but I'm not sure if turtles going to destroy all the moss and plants.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think turtles would probably trample everything.
I know mine would.
Their not exactly light on their toes. :lol:

Reactions: Saigon

·
Registered
683 Posts
Damn if that isn't one of the most vietnamese things I've ever seen. Do you have the spiney lobster mounted on the wall?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts