British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread Title: Updated Smartphone Feedback Thread

We're pleased to announce that we have launched a new smartphone view on the site, in addition to the recently added mobile view in the last upgrade. This version has been designed to have a cleaner look, to fit really nicely into mobile (iPhone, Android) browsers, and unlike most normal web based skins will also include features that are normally reserved for desktop or phone applications. We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on desktop.

A few notes as I know many of you may have questions:

* This does not replace the free or paid in-apps that you have, such as any mobile apps. This is web-only.
* This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
* Please give us some time as we work through bugs. Give it a try, give us feedback in our mobile thread url, and give it a chance. Every change needs time to get used to!​

If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can login, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

The feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let use know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I cannot seem to log in on the new mobile version. Also will the live chat still be available on the site if on mobile?

This is on a HTC M8, with Chrome explore

The full site on mobile browser worked very well, even if not fully optimized for mobile use. Using the site on my mobile was just the same as using it on my PC, no differences, nothing stretched out or jumbled. I find the new mobile site slower, less attractive, still cannot log in and the over all experience just seems like a downgrade and barely smoother. I'm all for change but I don't really see a need to change something that worked perfectly into something much less appealing.

Even with the bugs worked out and maybe some changes to the layout I could not see myself coming here on my mobile as often. There are forum apps available for people that do like this type of layout. Giving us choice on our viewing and exploring experience, now the choice is gone.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can login, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

The feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let use know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks!
Wasn't easy to find that option without reading this here it just goes to show the non user friendlyness

Tried it don't like it, not smooth or easy to navigate. I prefer to use the web browser then the normal bca webpage NOTE this is all on iphone

Please don't make that new garbage the only layout here that would be a pitty.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
cant say im a big fan of this either, especially since there is no options for the mods to do their moderating as i do alot from my phone. any chance of getting an option for viewing full site or mobile site like all the other sites have? i personally prefer to see the full site myself. seeing it in this format seems like im using tapatalk or the petguide app which im not a big fan of forum apps.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Option for mobile use or standard browsing is a must unless this is simply a migratory thing.

We'll discuss the mod issues in the private section if you'd prefer.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Administrator
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys. The mobile view is a work in progress and your feedback will help us improve it. If there's a specific tech issue related to the mobile view, please let me know so we can investigate it ASAP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't like the new iPhone version. It's so difficult to use on my phone that I've stopped going to bca on my phone. I can't even expand the text, let alone find the legacy version. Please go back to the old version!

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
for whatever reason, I wasn't finding the option myself, even following the instructions mentioned. Either I didn't scroll down enough or it wasnt showing up. Then again I am also used to finding the "mobile/full site" opt at the bottom of the page as that is where most sites have it.
Anyway if you tap the left "menu" button as shown below, you have to scroll down the "drop down menu" to the bottom and tap "exit enhanced mobile view" as shown and it will go back to the old way. Hope this helps those who like the original mobile format better.
Also I am sure it would be appreciated to hear if anyone likes the new format ...as well :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Haven't found a way to go to jump to unread posts in a thread, or am I missing it?
Also finding the new layout to be much slower than the desktop version when viewed on my phone

galaxy S3 using dolphin browser

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That was one thing I use on the normal web view that I couldn't find was the new classifies and new posts button right on top? they normaly are on the top area of the main page. Then after reading the new in last 24 hours stuff look through a few sections that intrest me.

Never found using full sites on smart phones to be troublesome anyhow. More the other way around, even if the format doesn't fit I know where I'm going and that works better for me then a streamlined version with pizazz.

·
Administrator
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

*UPDATE*

Hello everyone,

We’re excited to announce that additional features has been added and improvements were made to the enhanced mobile view.
Thanks to the feedback that everyone has provided, we were able to tailor the mobile view to better fit forum members’ needs and fix a few bugs along the way.

A few of the new features that were added includes:
• Completely replacing the PM system with one that better matches what members see in the desktop version.
• A pull-to-refresh functionality has been added on all appropriate pages in addition to the refresh already available in the overflow menu.
• A new scrolling feature has been added so that if the user starts scrolling the screen prior to an auto-scroll happening (like moving to a post per the current read position), the auto-scroll is cancelled so the user is not fighting with it.
• There is now a font size preview in the Font Size settings page so the members would know what to expect.
• Sticky topics can now be hidden from within the page where they are being viewed
• The vote count on poll results has been animated to count up along with the bar graph animations that were already present.

Now on to some of the fixes we that have implemented:
• After sharing a photo from the media viewer, the user will not be returned to the media viewer instead of the topic.
• PMs will now be correctly marked as viewed and word-wrapped.
• The forum will now work with iOS Safari if the user had opted to block all cookies.
• Double-tapping buttons or links will no longer cause functionality to execute twice.
• The text in the header is now re-sizing correctly when members are scrolling through the page or opening the side menu.

Please give this newly improved version of the mobile view a try and feel free to let us know what you think in the feedback thread.

**Please let us know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Sure glad that was posted so happy to exit enhanced back to normal now ty

·
Registered
44 Posts
I accidentally exitedenhanced mobile viewing mode and would like to get it back but I am unable to find the button or setting to enter that mode again. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Not sure what kind of phone your using or what OS it has, but I am using Android and have looked everwhere on how to get it back for you and there is not an option or setting for it. What I have found is that it will go back to the enhanced view on its own every week or 2 and sometimes will give you the option to try it that way. I always switch back to the original view and it does that to me all the time. Did it today actually. Hopefully this helps give it a few days and see what happens if it hasnt already went back

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
That'll be cookie based. Delete the BCA cookie (don't know how to do that on mobile). Should revert back at that point to Enhanced View.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts