British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Community!

BCA is known for having a great forum in Canada and very well established here on the west coast of course. Our forum has always seemed to gear towards the fresh/planted side of the hobby leaving out the marine/reef guys.

I would like to change this and i'd love to bring more saltwater guys back to bca.

I would love your help in trying to figure out how to divide the sections and what is needed for the saltwater forums. I would love to say i know lots about that but i simply do not.

Any recommendations on what to include would be helpful. I need to figure out a way to reorganize the forum separating more the general/freshwater/marine as well what subforums need to be added to make it more handy for a marine person to post here more.

Shawn

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are Things on my to do list to make the marine experience better on BCA

-Separate the marine livestock from the classifieds section. Currently livestock/equipment is in the same classified, i will separate them so it's easier for people to choose only what they want.

-Waiting for further feedback

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Here are Things on my to do list to make the marine experience better on BCA

-Separate the marine livestock from the classifieds section. Currently livestock/equipment is in the same classified, i will separate them so it's easier for people to choose only what they want.

-Waiting for further feedback
This is a great idea, so it would be the same as the freshwater side. :cool:
Also it would be great if there was a veteran salt water guys list made. If you want to offer advice to the newbies you could put your name forward on a volunteer basis. I know I for one would use it. Just a thought. :cool:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
This is sure good news, i have freshwater but just started with saltwater and the salt water community has been growing a lot lately too :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I am no salt water expert, but I will post my 2cents here :)

1) I like your initial idea Shawn as its a good starting point.
2) Anthony's & Grant's idea are also good, but instead of having all those categories as different sections, we can use that as a pre-face on threads that are opened

So simply, this should be efficient and clean:
Marine Livestock
Marine Corals/Clams/Inverts
Marine Equipment

This would be similar to what we have for freshwater as livestock, plants & equipments

Under Marine Livestock, people can post using:
Reef-safe fish: RS Fish
Non-reef-safe fish: NRS Fish
Predator fish: P Fish

Rare fish: Rare Fish :p

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I have a few suggestions for the forum navigation

Remove Tank journals from Aquarium related chat. Rename it Freshwater Tank Journals, place it in the Aqua Lounge section.
Add Marine Tank Journals to Aqua Lounge section
Move the Members photo/video gallery to aqua lounge aswell, Make the Aquarium Photography a sub forum of it, or merge the two.
(members who want their old topics moved to an appropriate section can flag it for a mod to move)

Plants/Algae/Ferts/EI/CO2/Lighting should be renamed to "Planted tank Specific" (or something similar) since that's what its used for it seems :p If needed the Algae section could be on its own since its quite popular

sales spotted and yellow pages could be moved to classifieds forum

and finally i would love to see little icons like the buy sell, but with SALT, FRESH to help differentiate topics in more general forums like: DIY, Equipment, Hospital, Breeding

I dont see a need to separate marine chat into many categories until the activity dictates its need.
a
remember that regulars tend to use new posts more often than not, rather than navigate the forums browse, so the changes wont be that noticeable to us, but cleaning it up helps new comers find what they need

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would also love to see a "What is this Hitchhiker?" ID thread of some sorts, I might not keep a reef tank any more but it was always my favorite mystery, you never know what might pop up!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
This isn't really a saltwater question, but could we add a Brackish subforum, for those with fish that are betwixt and between?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
A saltwater section separated into these categories would be great
- reef equipment
- reef chemistry
- reef fish
-fowlr fish
-anemones
-identification

Even just to start out splitting up the equipment and livestock section would be better.
Just my 0.2 cents

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Even just to start out splitting up the equipment and livestock section would be better.
Just my 0.2 cents
that would definitely be a good start

And Elle , a brackish section is a good idea too, I have gotten a couple suggestions about that recently myself

·
Registered
813 Posts
As an avid cichlid enthusiast, I would say split the cichlid section up into different groups as well.. Even just groups for Africans, South American and Central American and Discus but if you'd like to go further then for African you can break it down into Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika and Lake Victoria (I'm unfamiliar with the different SA/CA cichlids and Discus). They are all cichlids but they all have very different water parameters and habitats. I would also add an Identification section as well.

just my .02 cents for the cichlid section :)

Edit: Sorry to add this to the saltwater thread. My apologies.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
So simply, this should be efficient and clean:
Marine Livestock
Marine Corals/Clams/Inverts
Marine Equipment
Great improvement! These 3 sections are more than enough for our little SW community. IMO, I would rather have only 2 sections - livestock and equipments. Keeping it simple until the SW population has grown bigger. Currently, lot of ppl are confused n posted things in the wrong section... maybe they aren't aware of this change???

·
Registered
480 Posts
I wish there were more salties here :(
-marine newbie section
-marine fish section
-coral section
-equipment section

These sections would help alot for those that are curious about saltwater and would let them remain on this site to help find their answers.IMO

Same basic idea as the sites that do cater to those of us suffering from reefer madness

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Love this idea! as a new salty enthusiast I think there should be a simple beginner thread. Place some good stickys about the salty basics and have a place for greenhorns like myself to go on and learn.

I personally think the key to making the saltwater sections of the forum successful is to mimic what you have already done on the fresh water side. Basically without laying the site out completely, we need a place for enthusiasts at all levels. FOWLR, Softies, LPS, SPS, Predatory, Community, Invertabrett, yada yada. A different section depending on what type of tank you are keeping.

Thanks for continually trying to enhance BCA and make it a better place for all of us to come and learn!

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Don't be shy, give it a try.

Love this idea! as a new salty enthusiast I think there should be a simple beginner thread. Place some good stickys about the salty basics and have a place for greenhorns like myself to go on and learn.

I personally think the key to making the saltwater sections of the forum successful is to mimic what you have already done on the fresh water side. Basically without laying the site out completely, we need a place for enthusiasts at all levels. FOWLR, Softies, LPS, SPS, Predatory, Community, Invertabrett, yada yada. A different section depending on what type of tank you are keeping.

Thanks for continually trying to enhance BCA and make it a better place for all of us to come and learn!
I see a slow progression of people joining the salt water side of the hobby, I think the startup cost and entering the bright side formally known as the dark side is the main reason folks don't try it. When I've talked to some people that have only freshwater I hear things like " ya but it's a lot harder to look after " & " I would like to try it but it costs so much to get started and there's so much you have to know ". These were all the same comments I made when I started into salt water keeping 2 years ago.
You can find some good deals used equipment to get you started, also bcaquaria has a lot of seasoned salty veterans that are always willing to help you with questions you may have. Come on and don't be shy give it a try, I guarantee you'll like it. :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts