British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am setting up a 180 gal freshwater tank. Its a reef ready and has a trickle type sump. I will be keeping plecos and medium to large chocolate cichlids plus maybe clown loaches.
How important is the use of a "UV Sterilizer" in a set up like this?
Cost is not really a factor since they are pretty affordable but I dont want it if I dont need it of course.
Has anyone had any experience with these in freshwater?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Based on my own experience uv sterilizers really help with controlling the spread of disease and also maintaining crystal clear water. Its not a cure all but a nice extra piece of protection. Well worth it if cost is not an issue. Just remember the uv bulb costs. They typically need to be changed annually if you run the uv continuously.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My number one piece of Equipment

I have the turbo twist 18x or 25 watt it keeps the tank perfect clear water no ich or parasites keep the bacteria in check... It's a must for freshwater and JL aquatics has the best deal by far (I think I paid 117.00 plus taxes)

I hope that helps

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
i would..... just for piece of mind man , i added a 25 watt uv to my setup and have not looked back !! , but i have adopted the qt practice as well , which does not hurt !!

for a 180 a 25w would be great , but you might get away with a 18w ? its all about the flow rate of your sump , thats what kills the bad stuff ..lol

good luck [email protected]!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts