Got a question for u guys, should I get a uv sterillizer for my 10g? What are the pros and cons? Would like some opinions and thoughts...
UV sterilizing is only going to help you with green water (free floating algae). If you have algae growing on the glass and decors, etc.. such as green algae, blue green algae, brown algae, the UV unit will not remove them. You have to address the cause of the algae. Is the room light fairly bright? bright enough to influence algae growth? is it fluorescent lighting? How many plants are in the tank and are the plants growing well? Are you feeding nutrients? Co2? Excel? Nitrate level? How many fish? and the actual light that you have for the plants, how long is the photoperiod and what kind of lighting and wattage is it?Thanks for the replies guys! Yes it's a planted tank, the problem is that I have been getting quite some algae recently because my tank is at work, sometimes people forget to switch off the room light for the whole night (actually very often they forget) and it has been giving me some algae problems. There's a 74 dollar sterilizer and was thinking about it, hmmm... Should I get it or reduce more time on my light timer? Maybe I should make sure people switch off the room lights! tell me what you guys think ok hehe