British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
there are premade plastic liners for 1/2 oak barrels available if you like the look of the barrel. I think a decent garden shop would have one. About the right size for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
there are premade plastic liners for 1/2 oak barrels available if you like the look of the barrel. I think a decent garden shop would have one. About the right size for you. Good luck.
I was looking for a decent size 1/2 barrel something at least 25 gallon ,but couldn't find anything , didn't know where to look also , I was cheeking craigslist :( I reall

·
Registered
420 Posts
I do not quite understand the concept of such a "pond." The only viewing angle is from overhead since these containers are not transparent and are dark. Why not simply set up an outdoor aquarium in which the fish can be seen from all sides since such a tank would be above ground? Or are these containers going to be buried in the ground like a traditional pond would be?

P.S. I do get the idea behind the first photo of this thread. Very pretty. Adding a little fountain would be nice with it . . . but I see no reason to add fish to such a setup. Wouldn't the fish live in nearly-complete darkness under all the foliage and would only be seen at feeding time?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
A glass sided tank may get choked with algae. The fish add interest, and control mosquitoes. I like to add Rosy Minnows (and used to like White Clouds). You could put in Goldfish and trade them out when they grow too large. Both will usually survive the winter, but it is risky. Almost any tropical fish will do well from late May to September.

I once considered getting a large ornate bowl like you see in Chinatown, but was afraid it would crack in the winter. One of these would be great for indoors.

·
Registered
420 Posts
RE: " . . . and used to like White Clouds."

--------------------

For those who may not be aware : There is a previous thread with a link indicating that WHITE CLOUD MOUNTAIN MINNOWS are now illegal to keep/breed/trade/buy/sell in British Columbia.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

--------------------

For those who may not be aware : There is a previous thread with a link indicating that WHITE CLOUD MOUNTAIN MINNOWS are now illegal to keep/breed/trade/buy/sell in British Columbia.
Yes, that is why I no longer have them.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks for letting me know I wasn't aware

--------------------

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
How long usually takes for goldfish to grow up , if it takes like 1 year or two, I will get couple goldfish then
A glass sided tank may get choked with algae. The fish add interest, and control mosquitoes. I like to add Rosy Minnows (and used to like White Clouds). You could put in Goldfish and trade them out when they grow too large. Both will usually survive the winter, but it is risky. Almost any tropical fish will do well from late May to September.

I once considered getting a large ornate bowl like you see in Chinatown, but was afraid it would crack in the winter. One of these would be great for indoors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 59 Posts