British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend, another member, out of ignorance, sold me a wag that had dropsy.
none of the other fish in his tank exhibit the classic symptoms. So I'm thinking that this is not the contagious kind.

Left untreated this wag, will eventually fade away. However, I don't have a quarantine tank... I have raised the temperature as high as I can without cooking the fish.

What other solutions can I try? I know that there are medications available. But I don't want to kill my other fish by medicating the whole tank......

· Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The most common cause of Dropsy in Livebearers is the lack of hardness in our water supply. The lack of minerals causes the fish to fill with fluid, caused by the inability of the fish to osmoregulate, (balance fluids in the body).
Most hobbyists in BC are unaware of this problem and don't correct it. Whomever you got the fish from probably has super soft water in his aquarium and livebearers are raised in hard water conditions overseas.
that's interesting he has another wag in the tank that he also gave me and it doesn't have dropsy.... hm...

Would changing water hardness harm the other fish in my tank?

· Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Looking into my tank today. I saw these really really long strings of poo along with something that looks like a fish skeleton and fish skin....
Without a doubt. The Platy died. and then was probably eaten my all the bottom dwellers.

coincidently, I was also fasting my fish for a couple of days this week i wonder if that had to do with anything

So looks like the medication did not work.

But now I'm left with one platy. anyone want to take him for trade or a donation to my fish fund would help

· Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dear Dear Lisa,
Stop running into arguments through which you are not prepared.
Please please stop picking on ME!.
The member that i bought the fish from is ****( PM me if you want to know)
. I messaged him almost the same day of the sale. And he conceded that the fish was sick. I can show you copies of the message. To prove it to you!

I wasn't aware that it was Professor Francis. And to your information My exact words was not " Copied from Google"

But since you said google. I did run a google search and this is what I found

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/disease-fw.html
http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/dropsy/

I have nothing wrong with people using information from the internet to answer questions. But at least show your sources. Otherwise, There is a name for that behavior.
its called plagiarism.

· Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My bad, we all make mistakes.
I probably have run into my share of arguments without knowing all the facts.
In this particular instance, Unlike, the 4 BN pleco death which was my fault hands down,I'm really not to blame for this one. As upon purchase it had the raised scales in pine cone fashion.

I raised the temperature to the help the fish combat the illness, And made sure that all water parameters were within range.

At any rate, By getting rid of the platy its actually a good thing. realizing that my tank is probably overstocked. This will give the other fish a big more room. As opposed to buying another platy.

My apologies, If i sounded harsh in my previous post. Twas not my intent.

Colin

· Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
the deal was $13
5 Zebra danios
4 lamp eyed tetras
2 Red Wag platys

good deal.
he had all the fish in one small bag. i really couldn't see all the fish.
but i figured heck for $13 bucks. even if one or two are sick. it can't be all that bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.