British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I talked to my LFS about their 90g cube thats been sitting doing nothing for more than a year.

I have gotten a price of $800 for the tank, glass lid, and 55w compact flourescent light strip.

In respect to prices in the greater Vancouver area, and the fact that I would spend minimum of $200 on gas alone to get there and back, not mentioning possible lost wages (I work on-call)... is this price reasonable? The manager claims that's pretty much what they bought the thing for.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Seems like alot for just a tank with lids and a light strip. What are the dimensions? I'd imagine around a 24x24? I realize you are in PG but I just can't believe that's their cost. If it had a stand at least, it would be more palatable. Just to put it into perspective, a 210g with stand can be had brand new for $1000 (in vancouver).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Go to King Ed's on Kingsway...Edmonds area.....and price them out there first....That sounds like a lot of money....good luck with what ever you decide..

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
yea.. i think getting a tank down here and shipping it would be cheaper... you can get a full set up down here and shipped for that price

·
Registered
695 Posts
Call King Eds see if they will ship to you. I mean Prince George isn't that far!

I would recommend thinking about getting one shipped to you.

Cheers

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just called King Eds. they seemed to not have a clue about a 90g cube. Like.. the guy was VERY confused about my request for pricing on one.

*sigh* can anyone help a fellow hobbyist out? I have had a few pm's on people offering to ship one with people they know who are travelling back and forth anyways.. when you guys are out and about at your favourite stores do you think you can find me some prices? I would prefer a glass top (not mandatory - can be either a suspended light or a plastic hood) and come with a light strip. If you can give me names of stores and their phone numbers, I will call them if I would like to confirm a price on something you have already spotted... then I will talk to those who have pm'd me and discuss shipping.

Really appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
If you want to see what prices are for those types of tanks, take a look at glasscages.com. I just recently got a custom square (30x30x24") tank from J&L and the custom ones are pricey. But mine is trimless, Eurobraced and drilled. For a standard trimmed, it shouldn't be nearly as much money.

·
Registered
348 Posts
For that much money I don't think it's worth it, you can get a much bigger tank for that price.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i cant have a bigger tank. my floor wont hold it up! I have a trailer, and the floor joists are farther apart than in a conventional home. 90g is my max.

But up here, thats the prices. Which is why I am inquiring on costs in the greater vancouver area, because it may be worth the trip/paying someone who is doing a trip some shipping/gas money. I just need to find a tank.... hard to make a purchase without seeing it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What are the dimensions your looking for? Your going to have a really hard time getting a quote on a 90g Cube if that's all you tell them, you need to give exact dimensions.

My guess is that 90g cube is approx 27"x27"x27"

Yes it is hard to make a purchase without seeing it, but that is a custom size and you will never see it before hand :(

For reference an 80g "cube" 24x24x31 from glasscages is $320.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are the dimensions your looking for? Your going to have a really hard time getting a quote on a 90g Cube if that's all you tell them, you need to give exact dimensions.

My guess is that 90g cube is approx 27"x27"x27"

Yes it is hard to make a purchase without seeing it, but that is a custom size and you will never see it before hand :(

For reference an 80g "cube" 24x24x31 from glasscages is $320.
I checked out that one from glasscages. I sent them an email regarding shipping... :eek: $800 just to get it here...... I might just buy that one at my LFS at this rate.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Do you have your eyes dead set on the 90 cube?

Even if you could find a tank for 300 bucks on the mainland you would still pay about 3-500 getting it to nanaimo, unless you already have a truck which then might cost you 200 ish. I know if I brought it down I would charge 300 just to deliver the tank in your home. Then you would have to pay for tank and ferry charges so it might cost the same as getting a tank from there. Only way it would work to your advantage is if you brought it back yourself.

Why couldn't it be a 90 g standard that would probably be cheaper....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a small home. Theres 90g standards here for about 350. The cube would fit my living room a lot better. Not that I havent thought about the 90g standard...

And I have already estimated about 200 in gas from Prince George to Vancouver... in my car, which is a large hatchback (pontiac vibe) so it fits cargo easily.
So the tank (whether its an 80-90g cube) would need to be under 600, and theres also the risk of lost wages, as I work on-call. My paycheque is dependant on those phone calls.

Again, if theres a tank that someone sees down there that fits my description, there have been some people who have pm'd me as possible transports for the tank, as they have family travelling for chrimstas, etc. If anyone sees one, please let me know, and I will contact the store inquiring about an over-the-phone sale.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ditto what Alym said
Talk to Bill (Aquaman)
Very nice cube style tank & great price.
If you can travel here & back for $200, probably worth a look.
Cheers!!!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Corwin (Munster Tanks) advertised a sale on cube tanks recently:

- 70 Gallon Cube Tank (30" L x 30" W x 18" T) Munster/Marineland
$ 389.99

- 93 Gallon Cube Tank (30" L x 30" W x 24" T) Munster/Marineland
$ 499.99

Munster Tanks is a sponsor here, so you can send him a PM. I know that he's very busy these days with his other business so I'm not sure if you can still get one of these tanks, but it's worth a try. He is a very good guy to deal with. I have two of his nano tanks and they are lovely.

So I talked to my LFS about their 90g cube thats been sitting doing nothing for more than a year.

I have gotten a price of $800 for the tank, glass lid, and 55w compact flourescent light strip.

In respect to prices in the greater Vancouver area, and the fact that I would spend minimum of $200 on gas alone to get there and back, not mentioning possible lost wages (I work on-call)... is this price reasonable? The manager claims that's pretty much what they bought the thing for.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Corwin (Munster Tanks) advertised a sale on cube tanks recently:

- 70 Gallon Cube Tank (30" L x 30" W x 18" T) Munster/Marineland
$ 389.99

- 93 Gallon Cube Tank (30" L x 30" W x 24" T) Munster/Marineland
$ 499.99

Munster Tanks is a sponsor here, so you can send him a PM. I know that he's very busy these days with his other business so I'm not sure if you can still get one of these tanks, but it's worth a try. He is a very good guy to deal with. I have two of his nano tanks and they are lovely.
I will PM him thanks. I didnt know if he was still in business becaue the threads seem to point towards not...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
oooh i wish. but again, biggest i can go that my floor joists will safely hold is 90g. one day I will have a bigger house, and I will be building a big one into a wall somewhere.. :cool:
what is the spaceing of the joist?
also what type of joist?
do you know what way the joist run in comparison to where you want your tank to sit?
most joist systems can hold amazing amounts of weight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts