British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How fast does water dechlorinators work? I've always kept a container of water already dechlorinated and stored ready to use for water changes. However, I was wondering if you can just use water straight from the tap if you put dechlorinator into the tank prior after removing the old water. My current tank is next to the kitchen sink and if that's doable, I can do away with keeping buckets of water that can potentially spill.

How do people with massive tanks do water changes? If you had say a 500 gallon tank, would you have a 100gallon water tank somewhere with declorinated water?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have 3 120 gal tanks. 1 african cichlid 2 discus... I change eater straight from the tap and use seachem safe.

Never any problems.

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
I have use Prime or equivalent products to add to the water going into the tanks.

I also have all kinds of containers outside to catch rain water and have a coupe of 45 gallon barrels of water for make up.

You can dechlorinate water by setting it out in a open topped container/bucket with a airstone for 24 hours..

of fill up the bathtub/laundry sing with water and airstone let it sit for 24 hours.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Remove water from tank. Add dechlorinator to tank and add water directly from tap. No problems. Been doing it for years

Be mindful of water temperature in winter

Also adding dechlorinator to the tank requires higher dosage than adding to new water only - see product instructions. They usually will give directions in this regard.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I drain 50%, then fill with python and add prime at the same time. So far so good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay great to hear people are just adding water straight from the tap and adding water conditioner. My apartment has limited space so having big buckets of water laying around isn't safe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dechlorinators work right away, so it's safe to use water straight from the tap.

I'd like to add that while you can dechlorinate water simply by leaving it out for 24 hours, it only off gasses chlorine, not chloramine. But in Vancouver, this is fine to do since our water is only treated with chlorine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts