British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just came home from work as we speak and i noticed one of my shrimp tanks is not lit so i tried unplugging it a few times and everytime i plug it in only one bulb which is 6,700k would light up for a couple of seconds and die right after,the 10,000k doesn't light at all. So i tried to switch the bulbs and the same thing happens, is my bulbs dead? I got this from you guys with my brand new GLO 24" double T5HO 24wx2 last december 28,2009, my question is do they die that fast? I have been using the light fixture for about 4 1/2 months now and only turned on 6 hours a day. I'm asking this because i don't want to buy another set of bulbs which cost me $23.99 each and die after 4-5months of use(did this ever happen to any other costumer buying the coralife T5HO bulbs)? I've always used coralife CFL and this is the first time i have used a GLO fixture with coralife bulbs if someone could please explain to me what has happened here that would be greatly appreciated. I love the GLO fixture and never had any problem until now with bulbs being dead after 4-5months of use and only 6hours a day(plugged in a timer).

Also i'm planning to buy a replacement bulbs tomorrow which is 24" 24w, one 6,700k & the other 10,000k if you guys have this in stock please let me know asap. Thank you so much...

Cheers,
Stephen

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've had a few GLO fixtures for a year and they're still going. Bulbs still worked but I changed them because the light output wasnt as good as it was before. I also used the generic 6700k lights that Rogers has for $10 each.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a few GLO fixtures for a year and they're still going. Bulbs still worked but I changed them because the light output wasnt as good as it was before. I also used the generic 6700k lights that Rogers has for $10 each.
The Generic light you are talking about is this a T5HO? Because if it is what is the brand and do they come on 24" as this is way cheaper than the one i used for 4 1/2 months which is a 24" coralife bulbs, how often do you change the bulbs?:(

·
Super Moderator
5,238 Posts
Sounds like a faulty balast. Hagen has excellent customer service. They will replace the balast or complete unit if need be. You can ask Rogers to handle it for you or do it through Hagen yourself. You can go through this link . If you go through Rogers, they may even be able to loan you a light while your light is getting fixed (as you know Rogers customer service is exceptional).

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a faulty balast. Hagen has excellent customer service. They will replace the balast or complete unit if need be. You can ask Rogers to handle it for you or do it through Hagen yourself. You can go through this link . If you go through Rogers, they may even be able to loan you a light while your light is getting fixed (as you know Rogers customer service is exceptional).

Best Regards,

Stuart
Thanks Stuart, well that's what i thought the problem is too the ballast. I have coralife fixtures with coralife bulbs running for over a year and it never burns out. Well i called rogers and i will be seeing him later on tonight, i just hope it is the bulb as it is easy to replace and not the ballast.:( I don't have a replacement fixture to have in this tank for the time being, it is heavily planted with HC.

·
Registered
600 Posts
i agree, sounds like the ballast is acting up. GLO's have external ballast so i believe that can be replaced very easily.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Roger, Got it fixed it was the light from coralife burnt out after 4 months of use lols.

·
Registered
600 Posts
could be manufacturer defect. 4 mos of use is way too early IMO.

·
Super Moderator
5,238 Posts
Good to hear that Roger was extremely accommodating. I wish he wasn't so far away from me. He has ALWAYS been fair and runs a tight ship.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey, I know this is an old post but I only just found it today. Ironically I replaced my bulbs right after reading it (about 5mins ago) and encountered the same problem. I took the lights down to check it over and I realized that as I was screwing the little plastic enforcer bits back on it was twisting one side of one of the bulbs. Because one side was in and the other was not, the light was switching on and then automatically switching off. I fixed the bulb and it was all good :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
On these small bulbs the ends can sometimes twist when you install them. Try wrapping the ends with a small strip of duct tape. That prevents the ends from turning on the bulb when inserting them.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts