British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just started noticing something weird on 3 of my fish today. I'm pretty sure there is some sort of worm (nematode) on my Chocolate cichlid, but there is another weird "growth" I'm not sure of.

White worm looking protrusions:

And these are the weird growths:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Gary, I really am no expert at all about fish diseases, but I just had a quick look in my "Manual of fish health" and they show there photos of fish lice that look very much like your last 3 pics here. It's called Argulus. Run a google search for "fish lice Argulus" and you'll see more pics and treatment advice.

I might be all wrong of course.

Good luck with it, whatever it is.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Franck, you're right. The second mysterious bumps sound exactly like fish lice (shield shaped). Thanks for that. Have to figure out what the first white things are. Guess I'll have to get some fluke tabs.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If they're fish lice, if memory serves correctly, they actually do detach off and find another spot to feed on!

I remember my goldfish had it once, this wuz years and years back!
I'm not sure if i'm dreaming o_O or wuz it real, but I remember they do detach and swim off which is quite odd! i remember catching one and throwing it out! it swam off!
(wuz i dreaming or am i correct?)

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I found some other pictures that look almost identical. I guess it's off to find some fluke tabs tomorrow.

Eternity, I'm not sure if they detach or not. This is the first time I've ever seen these in all my years of fishkeeper....blind luck?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Yep, I found some other pictures that look almost identical. I guess it's off to find some fluke tabs tomorrow.

Eternity, I'm not sure if they detach or not. This is the first time I've ever seen these in all my years of fishkeeper....blind luck?
Gary Prazi pro is only 11.35 at JL Aquatics.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
gary, indeed they are fish lice. Get them out early. Just catch your fish, use a small tweezer and plug them out.

Don't wait till you have an outbreak. They can reproduce quite quickly.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Thanks Charles. I'll give it a try tomorrow. It's too late the thrash around with a fish tonight. :(
I'm no expert, but I guess I wuzn't dreaming! I remember netting my fish and pulled it off with my fingernails!

You seriously dun want them in ur tank... i remember catching one that wuz swimming away, and one that i pried off with my finger nails.. they seriously eat through the skin! I guess i wuznt dreaming after all.. i just remember a horrible sight.. poor goldfish i had!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
NET them before you try to remove them! As i said.. i remember them detaching and swimming away! DEFINITELY disguting... but kinda reminded me of a horseshoe crab! good luck good luck!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I tried a couple of things, one of which is the manual removal method. Having a fully planted tank really really sucks when it comes to this and having 60+ fish doesn't help (35+ cories). After trying to catch the Chocolate Cichlid for 20 minutes I gave up. I am going to get some Fluke Tabs tonight and a second bigger net to do a 2 pronged attack to see if I can catch some and treat the rest.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still haven't been able to catch these guys because I forgot to get a bigger net in my hurry to get some medication. I've tried Clout, but so far the lice still appear to be on the Chocolate. But I have not seen it on the other plecos, so maybe that's a good sign. It's been about 30 hours since the treatment. But of course, with so many plecos, I'm not sure I'm always looking at the same one. :( The plan is to wait a week, do a big water change and do another treatment.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Still haven't been able to catch these guys because I forgot to get a bigger net in my hurry to get some medication. I've tried Clout, but so far the lice still appear to be on the Chocolate. But I have not seen it on the other plecos, so maybe that's a good sign. It's been about 30 hours since the treatment. But of course, with so many plecos, I'm not sure I'm always looking at the same one. :( The plan is to wait a week, do a big water change and do another treatment.
when you do a big water change , grab the fish then , it should be easier with less water ? , thats the only time i attempt to catch fish in a 210 :cool:

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when you do a big water change , grab the fish then , it should be easier with less water ? , thats the only time i attempt to catch fish in a 210 :cool:
That's true. Now why didn't I think of that. Ok, that'll be my weekend ordeal. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks, Charles. I slightly underdosed and only did it when I was home so I can observe them. This weekend, Daniel is coming over to pick up some stuff and we're going to try and catch and pluck the fish together. Might be easier than me running around from side to side on the 6 foot tank. :D

If all else fails and I figure out how to catch them, I'll have to try a PP dip. I'm not going to treat the entire tank with PP as it'll cause a massive die-off of plants and biofilter, which will cause more problems than I have now. :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts