British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to say I LOVE your plants....

It's a great addition to the community having you here!

Scholz

·
Registered
56 Posts
Glad to be here!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for letting us onboard! I've been trying to get my act together for weeks, and finally have gotten everything set up.

So as not to double post (http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2998), I'd just like to quickly thank Nickelfire and everyone at BC aquaria, and to the many of your I have met over the last little while. It's always a great experience to chat with fellow enthusiasts with something interesting (plants!). Ask away any questions you like about plants, tissue culture, and I'll do my best to answer.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd like to give all the members of BC aquaria a deal on our tissue cultured aquarium plants. Our plants are available at many stores in BC, but for those of you that can't get to one of them, we do offer mail order for our AquaPaks. These are plants grown in sterile containers, contain lots of plants, and most importantly, don't have snails, algae, or any pesticides. We sell them for 12.97 on the website, but for the rest of June 2010, any BC aquaria members can get them for 9.00!

There has already been considerable interest, so I have a current availability I can send to anyone who is interested (PM me, so I know you are a member of BC aquaria; this offer isn't up on the website).

And for those who have enough plants, ask me any questions you can think of for plants. Thanks!

Tim

·
Banned
409 Posts
These are high quality Plants fellow members.....If you are wonder where Rogers get those nice plants....it's Tim....I had a very nice presentation by Tim's Rep the other day....Other than the regular potted aquatic plants....Aquaflora has a really kool methodology with sealed plants that are snail free and will last 4-8 weeks without water....just living off the mystery gel....I hope to get out to Tim's facility in the next few weeks to check it out....

Good luck Tim... all the best with the Sponsorship with Aquaflora

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've made a couple orders from Tim already and the service (and plants) are both excellent. That reminds me.. time for another order :)

·
Super Moderator
5,300 Posts
Hello Tim.

My name is Stuart and I remember seeing a presentation of yours at Aquariums West a while back. Several of my friends have bought your plants including me. I bought 5 a while back fron Rogers and thouroghly enjoym the and other plants I have received from members here through you.

Welcome to the site.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the website compliments, it's become a little out of date (it happens so fast!). And the inventory is not accurate either (to make sure the BC aquaria members get first pick of anything I've got).

Just a question to anyone out there, who has ever heard of tissue culture of plants (aside from my website, anyway :) ). If it's something people are interested in learning a little more about, I can post some info about it, and everyone can learn what the gel is, how we keep our plants free of pests, etc.

Tim

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yes please, do post away about the tissue culture stuff.

Just a question to anyone out there, who has ever heard of tissue culture of plants (aside from my website, anyway :) ). If it's something people are interested in learning a little more about, I can post some info about it, and everyone can learn what the gel is, how we keep our plants free of pests, etc.

Tim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to BCA

Yeah, i'm interested! another poster commented on the agar ... oh a month or so back. Sounds totally interesting!

BTW
it took me a bit to realize who you were. So that's what the "shed" out back was for. I'm impressed Tim, well done!
...just one of the heating guys

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok, so I'll start off easy with tissue culture, and let me know if I'm going too slowly!

Plant tissue culture is a form of cloning. Plants are really neat because if you take a piece of them, often you can regenerate an entire plant. Plant tissue culture is just a way of doing that quickly and sterily.

First, we have to choose a species and get good healthy specimens. Next, they have to be grown in a closed environment to stop insects from damaging leaves (I usually use an aquarium, after all, if I can't grow the plant in an aquarium, I shouldn't be selling it as an aquarium plant!). After a few weeks or months, it's time to start the first phase of tissue culture: Initiation.

Initiation means taking a lot of pieces of the plants, disinfecting them in sterile laboratory hoods, and then placing them in petri dishes. Usually, the pieces of plant I cut out are about 0.1-0.5 cm in length. Most of the time I use household bleach to kill all the micro-organisms on the surface of the plant (but this is tricky; too short a time, one microbe may survive, and too long, the plant is killed by the bleach). I usually do dozens of plants to hopefully get one or two sterile pieces.

If I was successful, I now have a tiny piece of plant material sitting in agar-gel in a petri dish! The agar-gel is made from water, agar, fertilizers, sugar, and plant hormones (this receipe differs for most species, and we do not include the plant hormones in the gel that we sell to petstores and hobbyists).

The plants must grow in this gel for 4-6 weeks before we can tell if the culture was sterile; if it is, the plant will grow, form into new plants, and with the help of the plant hormones, will continually bud new plants. We then split these up and start new containers. If it was not successful, the gel with quickly be covered in mold, bacteria, or whatever. These cultures we autoclave to destroy them (the same thing that hospitals use to sterilize their surgical instruments).

After that, we then put the plants into fresh gel, this time without hormones, so the plants will form more roots, and then either they get planted into pots, or go into the AquaPaks to finish off.

I like tissue culture because we don't need to use pesticides or anything; the containers are closed and sealed, and if one gets contaminated by a mold or bacteria, we autoclave it immediately. I'll end the brief process of tissue culture there, and see if anyone has followup questions!

Tim

·
Registered
56 Posts
-Also just to add, the gel is needed to prevent the plants from drowning. Even aquatic plants can drown in a tissue culture container. Because of the tight seals we use, oxygen doesn't tend to get into the containers quickly, and doesn't dissolve in to the liquid very well. The gel provides support so the plants can be partially in the airspace of the container, but still in contact with the nutritious gel.

We use agar, other companies for horticultural products use agar, sand, gravel, etc, but we've found the agar does a nice job, is 100% compostable, and doesn't mess with the pH of the solution very much.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
The only unfortunate part about this is that I bought so many plants off you those last two times I don't have anymore room in my high tech tanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts