British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have cats, what do you feed them? Mine's on science diet and wellness canned food. I'm looking for maybe a better quality dry food for her... and maybe a diet- she's getting massive. Suggestions? Recommendations?

Like a fuzzy mountain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You have an adorable kitty!!!
I remember, we had a chubby rescued cat, and we got him down to normal size just by portioning out smaller lunches for him. Kinda like how people just do portion-control as a diet. Just a suggestion as your food choices sound pretty good already!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I got my cat back in 2003 and no matter what brand of food I gave him he would just stop eating it after a couple of months. About 2 years ago I saw a story on TV about quality pet food vs crappy pet food and they mentioned this brand:

I bought a bag and my cat absolutely loved it and has been eating it ever since. I think the only local store that carries it is Pet Smart and a 3.5 lb bag costs about $ 13 but it frequently goes go on sale for $ 10. Although good quality pet foods cost more they also last longer because there are less fillers as ingredients and you don't have to feed as much to your pet.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I recommend the Go! line of cat food. My two Ocicats were on vet food and would regularly vomit. I switched them to Go! and it stopped immediately! My female lost a bit of weight as a bonus, her "pants" were getting a little loose and droopy!

·
Registered
308 Posts
You could look into a medical diet for your kitty

i had my 2.5 year old, 17lb cat on royal canin indoor but since I allowed him to free feed all day he got the dreaded pouch on his belly that hangs down :( a few weeks ago on the advice of his vet I switched him over to Medi-Cal calorie control and by strictly following the feeding guide he's lost a few pounds already :)

Lots of playtime and excersize helps too. I just bought Diesel a laser pointer and make him race around the house a few times a day to help with the weight loss

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
You could look into a medical diet for your kitty

i had my 2.5 year old, 17lb cat on royal canin indoor but since I allowed him to free feed all day he got the dreaded pouch on his belly that hangs down :( a few weeks ago on the advice of his vet I switched him over to Medi-Cal calorie control and by strictly following the feeding guide he's lost a few pounds already :)

Lots of playtime and excersize helps too. I just bought Diesel a laser pointer and make him race around the house a few times a day to help with the weight loss
Medi-Cal was the problem food for me. I have found the more natural the food, cats eat less. It tends to be the "fillers" in cat food that pack on the pounds!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I recommend the Go! line of cat food. My two Ocicats were on vet food and would regularly vomit. I switched them to Go! and it stopped immediately! My female lost a bit of weight as a bonus, her "pants" were getting a little loose and droopy!
i have my 20 pound beast on iams digestive care ? but he still vomits , i think most cats do .. :p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Medi-Cal was the problem food for me. I have found the more natural the food, cats eat less. It tends to be the "fillers" in cat food that pack on the pounds!
I don't think I'll keep him on this forever. Eventually I want to switch him to the better natural foods with real meat and less bad stuff...I just bought a bag to test it out and see if I can get him to loose that ugly pouch. He looks skinny and healthy other than the poucn but it looks horrible on a shaved cat :(

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I don't think I'll keep him on this forever. Eventually I want to switch him to the better natural foods with real meat and less bad stuff...I just bought a bag to test it out and see if I can get him to loose that ugly pouch. He looks skinny and healthy other than the poucn but it looks horrible on a shaved cat :(
I am very happy with the Go! line we carry. I am very picky about cat and dog foods as many of you know. I am using a Salmon blend right now and have been for some time. They seem to be eating more but have trimmed up a bit. Give it a try, I noticed a huge difference. And you can pick it up with your next fish!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I am very happy with the Go! line we carry. I am very picky about cat and dog foods as many of you know. I am using a Salmon blend right now and have been for some time. They seem to be eating more but have trimmed up a bit. Give it a try, I noticed a huge difference. And you can pick it up with your next fish!
any samples ?? if my guy likes it and the price is right , i could switch ?:cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts