British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

What in the world is this white film??

Tags
white film
997 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  MissInked 
#1 ·
I first noticed this yesterday and it seems worse today, it’s like a fine white film on my glass and some of my plants and wood. It almost looks like it could be coming from one of my heaters? Either way I unplugged it just in case since the other one is more than capable of heating the tank on its own (it’s a 55 gallon tank). I did do a 25% water change on Saturday and my water parameters are good so I’m a bit stumped. Any ideas?

Water Parameters:
PH- 7.4
AM- 0
No2- 0
No3- 0
KH- 53.7
GH- 89.5
CA- 100
Water Plant Natural environment Underwater Fluid

Plant Natural environment Organism Underwater Terrestrial plant

Plant Paint Water Grass Rectangle

Water Pet supply Organism Aquatic plant Plant

See less See more
#2 ·
maybe this?

Is the tank cloudy or just the photo? I think the organic soil is causing more harm than good from the look of things and lack of circulation.

The plants look to be low on P and K from the algae surrounding the leaf edges and lost of the tip of leaves.

#3 ·
It’s not stringy, it looks almost like frost on a surface, I’ve had the soil substrate for about a year without any problems so I don’t think that’s it either. I have only been having the algae issue for about a month and no the water isn’t cloudy it’s just the photo.

#4 · (Edited)
like this?

feel like a bacterial bloom on the glass. The white slimy stuff on the bottom of a barebottom grow out tank. had the white slimy coat back when I was breeding corydoras. seem kind of fast for the tank to get coated by bacteria.

Is the white film slimey to the touch?

Someone else will have to chime in that has dealt with the white coating on the side of glass. Usually unsightly thing on the side of glass are green spot, green dust, diatom.

#5 ·
A few hours after I took the heater out it all cleared up, everything looks fine now. It was a HiTauing 300W aquarium heater I bought on Amazon in November. It seemed like it had the most of the white dusting on it and that it was emanating from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.