British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and joined as I see many knowledgeable ppl here.

I have started a new Planted Tank just over 3 Weeks ago. Recently I found many of these bugs / pests in my tank mostly on substrate. Wondering if this is normal to have few of them or are these pests and what I need to get rid of these. I see them increasing in numbers day by day.

I also have alot of little pest snails for which I will be adding Botia Loaches in another week once the tank is fully cycled.

Thanks in advance for all the help and support.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Gammarus shrimp. Also known as scuds, these are freshwater shrimp native to North American ponds and slow moving rivers. Scuds often find their way into your tank hidden among the leaves and stems of new plants. They won't do any harm to your fish or plants, in fact your fish will love them. Some hobbyists in the USA culture them as live food for their fish.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I put them in my protein shake

·
Registered
459 Posts
Are you serious? You eat them?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
They are good protein.Its why I look so young.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They turn pink when cooked just like other shrimp, but taste like pond mud wrapped in cello tape. True - tried this years ago while camping at Long Lake Alberta; so many scuds. Your fish will love them and so healthy too. I feed mine mosquito larvae in summer and now Mosquitos are finished am harvesting daphnia to the delight of my fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot for all of you. This is a great news for me as I am only into 3rd week of my new hobby and was worried about all these new creatures I have not known before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts