British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies for the poor video quality (it's a lot sharper on my phone before uploading for some reason).
EDIT: please scroll down to a later post with a clearer video.

This otocinclus was a loner with a few o. macrospilus. I'm guessing that it's an o. ****** but am not sure. Can anyone confirm or correct? I'd like to get a few more of whatever it is! :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
They look like Pleco to me. (At least the larger one.) After search oto on the web, I found information about Parotocinclus "There are also species that go by the name Paraotocinclus (for example, the PitBull pleco), and can be mislabelled as Otocinclus when young. They are different from Otocinclus in that the Paraotocinclus have an adipose fin, whereas the Otocinclus do not. "

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the larger one is a young bristlenose pleco. I am asking only about the oto in the foreground. Sorry that wasn't clear.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I know.. I can't tell if the "oto" has the adipose fin in your video. (It just doesn't look like oto to me.) Anyway If it has adipose fin than it isn't oto, it will be Paraotocinclu.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't look like it has an adipose fin.

black oto? cropped.jpg

eta: whoa! that's one tiny thumbnail! Click on it and it should be clearer/bigger. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've trimmed the video posted in my OP and re-uploaded it. It should be clearer now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And just for fun, here's a short video of some of my other otos eating blanched brussels sprouts:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for trying to help.

I went back to the same LFS yesterday to see if they had more of these unfamiliar ones. They didn't, but they did have a new shipment of otos -- definitely different from the ones I bought from them the previous week (in the video eating Brussels sprouts). The new ones were probably o. vittatus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts