British Columbia Aquariums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kind of a random question (sorry just got back to this hobby) but anyone know what kind of shrimp are the ones you find hopping around the beaches here in Vancouver? I believe they are amphipods but am not completely sure.

From what I remember someone on this forum a few years ago had them for sale as feeder shrimp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes, they are amphipods on the beach. I have a few cherry shrimp. Looking for blue tigers, don't have to be orange eyed. Am wary of shipping from the internet - are there any available on the island or lower mainland?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I finally found some OEBT's "locally" to me - at Aquariums West in Vancouver. Lovely dark blues, they had some that were almost BTOE dark.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to have 3 red cherry shrimp, but they died about two weeks ago, I only found to corpses though.. I could never find the third.. probably newbie mistake since my aquarium is only one month and a half old.. they seemed to do pretty good.. even with the 3 neon tetra I had.. I got them a Cabomba which they seemed to enjoy, also a java moss and a java ball too.. they had plenty of hiding spaces... I've always thought what was the cause of their deaths though.. I never saw them molting.. and my ammonia and nitrite levels never skyrocketed.. temperature has remained steady at 26c, with a 7.2 Ph.. I can only think of one night where I left the filter running at the lowest velocity since I forgot to put it back to max after feeding the fish.. I think one of the shrimps was gone the last morning. and I committed the big mistake of using a different bucket ( the one I use for mopping the floor ) which may had contained chemicals to put the new water after a PWC. Ever since I've been trying to get a Copper test kit with no luck. I think in the future I will add more RCS since they seemed to be so cute creatures.. very peaceful and fun to watch. their swimming is harmonic and relaxing and presents a different dynamics as watching fish swim. but probably 3 was not enough for them to be 100% assertive and start hanging out in the tank with the fish, I noticed after a couple days of getting them they started to hide more.. even though the tetras hardly paid them any attention. in the last week before their deaths I recall they were starting to come out more visible and out of their hiding spots.. and they they were gone..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ami, I was a west aquariums last week to get some endlers to my 10 gallon tank and there were some Red Crystal Shrimp in the same tank with them.. they seemed to be really confident and were not hiding at all when the LFS was trying to catch the fish.. actually it was funny since they seemed to want to be caught since they were swimming towards the net everytime. I had never seen them live, they are quite beautiful with the catchy and fancy colours and all.. Even my RCS would look pale compared to these species..

61 - 68 of 68 Posts