British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am wanting to get back into aquariums and have a set stock I would like but not sure what size rectangular tank to get in gals. The fish I want to house are as followed:

-6 danios
-3 cory catfish

-5 male only guppies (no babies wanted)
-one molly
-possibly a couple small shrimps

I want live plants but don't know if a 20g would be too small especially for the danios zipping around. Any advice?

Also nixxing the molly but still not sure if shrimps will be eaten or not or if danios and guppies get along?

·
Registered
288 Posts
What kind of danios are you looking at? CPDs would do fine in a 20 gallon, zebras you might want to consider a 30 gallon.

I'm unsure of how well shrimp would fare with zebra danios and guppies - I've never tried it but would think the shrimp and shrimplets would be snacked upon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah didn't know how shrimp would go but they're so cute! Was just going to do the Striped danios since Canada doesn't do glofish and those are a bit weird anyways, whole other topic.

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,253 Posts
I would go with a 200 gallon lol

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would go with the largest tank to fit your budget.That gives you more options to decide what fish you would like to house.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My budget increases with the further away I start establishing it goes. Probably won't do the shrimps in this one and save them for a smaller tank of just them and maybe neon tetras. Right now can afford 20 but if it's better to hold out for a bigger one I can do that too. Just not sure the fish to gallon ratio or how it works

·
Registered
420 Posts
Looks good. Personally, I would NOT get the Danios. The ones I had were mean little fellows. Picked on anyone else in the tank. Didn't nip, but just endlessly chased others. Substitute those with Rummies, Neons, Glowlights, or Rasboras. (Note: Rummy-nose Tetras a very striking as a group, but can be sensitive to even subtle changes in the water parameters; same for the shrimp.)

·
Registered
420 Posts
The FISH-TO-GALLON RATIO is, IMHO, only a guideline: 1 inch length of fish from end to end (not counting the tail) per 1 gallon of water. That is to say, in a 20-gallon tank, the total length of fish would not exceed 20 inches e.g. 20, 1-inch fish or 10, 2-inch fish or 7, 3-inch fish, etc.

HOWEVER, much also has to do with how well the tank is maintained with water exchanges, filter rinses/changes, substrate vacuuming, live plants, and other factors. One who maintains the tank well can exceed the "1-inch-per-gallon ratio" without compromising the health of the fishes. On the other hand, if one tends to be a little lazy and negligent with the maintenance, then stick with the guidelines . . . or house even fewer fish than 1" / 1 gallon ratio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts