British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just noticed that one of my tetras has a white patch on his dorsal fin and dorsal area (see the attached pic).

Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I'd luv to know too! I had that happen to my Boesemani Rainbowfish, I did a water change every 2 days, for 3 times a week! and it slowly healed~

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Looks like NTD (Neon Tetra Disease)to me.
Fish Disease - Neon Tetra Disease
I recently thought I had this problem with my Neons as well, I lost 20 various Tetras in a week, but think it was something else. I did alot of research and kept coming to this. But yours look like all the ones I seen pictured with NTD

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies, it looks like it is neon tetra disease, which is incurable and highly contagious, I guess I'll have to euthanize him

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Thanks for all your replies, it looks like it is neon tetra disease, which is incurable and highly contagious, I guess I'll have to euthanize him
Are you sure? I had two fish that had it in my whole community! Yes, it passed fish to fish, I even bought a replacement irian rainbow and boesemani as a replacement before they died! They looked like they were missing the color, the skin and scales.. It looked faded out... after a few water changes, everything turned normal and everyone survived it! Well, that wuz just my experience, but never again did I have it! But it's up to you, i mean... try quarantine.. not worth killing it yet!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
There is the risk of spreading it all so yea if u have a quaretine tank I'd use it but make sure it's small ( you'll have to really clean it
if that tetra disease). If u don't have a tank I would say put it down so you don't risk the other ( tho they may already exposed)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I did euthanize by freezing. It actually spread quite a bit more since that picture was taken so I felt I had to do it.

Hopefully no other fish are affected.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That sucks :(

But ya, it definately looked like NTD. Hope the rest of your fish are still nice and healthy :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the kind words. So far every other fish looks healthy so hopefully it was an isolated incident.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts