British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have two new beautiful females that apparently are full with eggs. They currently "share" a heavily planted 5.5 g with my male and I use a really dence divider. But they still "see" or feel each other.
I got them bloated like that, so it is not because they are close to the male.
I have no experiece with females, but I read some scary stories online that if they don't absorb the eggs they can actually die.
Is that true or a myth? Should I do something for them or just put them in another tank (as planned) when it's ready?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
yes the can become eggs bound and die. i lost several females that way but breeding was unsuccessful. they chased down the males! i am sure some successful breeders will chime in .

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not nice then :(
I am not ready for breeding but would put her with my male just so she can release the eggs if that is the way to help her.
How long she can have the eggs before she dies? Any other way to help?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I don't. I feed them the same I am feeding my male and he is fine. But I only had them for a few days now, so I am clueless. In love with them already, don't wanna lose them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe hide the male just to be safe. I know you said you got them like that. They might think there's an opportunity to breed with that male so they're not releasing/absorbing them.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I will in about a week. I am waiting for a tank to be ready for them. I was hoping they won't really see each other through all the plants and the divider, but I guess they see/feel enough.
Hope separating them will help. If keeping them close is bad, I can get them out in a 1.5 g one temporally, I guess.

·
Registered
280 Posts
They release hormones so even if they don't see eachother, they will still know as long as they are in the same tank. I wouldn't worry too much about them becoming egg bound. If they are going to be, they will, if they aren't going to be, they won't. Only thing you can really do is to feed them a less so their body won't make as much eggs and will reabsorb.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for the input, athena! I was thinking the same that's why I said they probably feel each other. Hopefully it's OK to have them together a little bit longer then, about a week or so to give them a nice new tank.

I will cut the feeding and I hope they will be fine then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts