British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm still struggling with hard water, out of the tap is 7.2 ph, 25 kh and 80 GH. In the tank it's ph 8.4, GH 75 and kh 300! After changing out the sand, and heavy water changes I was afraid of loosing my fishless cycle so got some high tolerant platies (Only 5) ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates under 20only! My plants aren't dying as quick as in the old sand. I will head out tomorrow to buy some peat moss, how much would you put in a 75gallon to not affect the platies to much? I have some driftwood on order, and I would still really like my neon tetras and similar species, community tank. before I realized the problem my cories and shrimp (in my 10 gallon died) can I fix the ratios... What do I do now?

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Platies will like the harder water.

For cory and neon, south american fish, they do prefer softer water than your platies and shrimps. So you really have to pick which one you want to keep. You can use almond leaves also to lower your ph a bit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i got the platies because my ph hardly budged, I can retank them if it ever does lower. Do you know where to get almond leaves?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike! Where about a could I pick them up? I wasn't able to find peat moss today.
I feel so silly now that it may not have been the sand and maybe it's just how my water is? So South American cichlids are out of the question. What else could I get, the African cichlids seem so odd and pricey?? I wish I don't have to give up on my soft water tank just yet, but want to be prepared.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't live in WR but have heard the water is really hard there. 800 ppm TDS (total dissolved solids.) They get their water from a well.
In contrast, here in Surrey, our water has 15 ppm TDS. Varies just a little with the seasons.
If I were you I would "borrow" water from your friends in Surrey, or anywhere in the lower mainland to use in your tank. You will have less problems

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wow, that is hard water for the lower mainland. Co2 and peat moss(or sources of tannins or mild natural acidifiers) can have a small effect but 8.2 is alkaline. Africans may like it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, are you sure your test kit is accurate?
I'm in South Surrey and my GH and KH are nowhere near as high as yours!
I would assume our water is coming from the same source (South Surrey and White Rock)
Mike in S. Surrey, what is your tap water like?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The weird thing is my tap water, and my betta tank has a range of GH 25 instead of 75, kh was 0 instead of 300 but the ph was still around 7-8. Since putting in the leaf and a tiny driftwood In the big tank the kh went down to 120 from 300. So I don't know if it was just the previous national geographic sand I had in the tank that was making such a difference? I will try a new test kit to confirm, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
My PH is over 8 out of the taps today

South Surrey is at the end of the pipeline from Capilano resourvor so we get the taste of everything added to the water along the way.
My electronic PH meter says 9.1 from the taps.
the rainwater bucket says 8.2
my 14 gall bio-cube/shrimp says 7.7

I used a new API 6-7.6 test kit to check the bio-cube and it is the same reading

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you live in WR per se, (my brother did and he talked to the city) then your water comes from a well. At the time my brother checked with WR, they told him TDS was 800
If you live in Surrey it comes from a reservoir

1 - 13 of 13 Posts