British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking in to going to a 6' tank, poss from 150 to 210. but I am not sure what type of filtration to use. I currently have three tanks 90g african tank with an AC110 and fluval 203. A 75g south american tank with a penguin 330 hob, and a 55g babie tank with an AC 70. Now I am not sure, multiple HOB filters or a good canister filter. or a combo of the two. any help or insight would be good. the 6' tank will be a cichlid tank not planted.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Multiple filters is the way to go with a large tank like that. Doesn't really matter if its multiple cannisters or HOBs. A sump is another option but most people don't want to bother. I have 4 filters on my 65g planted heavily stocked community tank;) 3 HOBs and 1 XP3.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
It's my personally opinion, but I no longer mix the 2 filter types. I would go all canister or all HOB's. HOB's have more frequent cleaning needs, defeating the hands off approach and also make more noise so it defeats the quiet of the canister. There are certain tradeoff's to canisters, such as more work to clean and cost, plus lower surface agitation (if you have a spray bar down low). I think if you go 210, and you don't mind the noise, I would probably go sump. If it needs to be quiet, I would go canister, but I think you'll need at least 2, maybe 3, depending on what you pick and how you stock the tank.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fro the info. Its going to be a good help in assessing the overall cost of the complete set up.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would go 2 good canister filters and some power heads for cichilds to get the water moving. Also depends if you are going to overstock the tank with fish. Need lots of oxygen and filtration with more fish.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you went the route of a sump, and built a proper stand for the whole assembly. Could you not insulate the bottom of the stand, and put doors on it, to keep the noise to a minimum? A friend of mine has a 180g with a 75g sump, and you can't hear it at all.

But anyways, personally, I would go with a minimum of 2 good canisters. As donjaun stated, if needed, also add a powerhead or two, or more. Whatever is needed to get the flow going.

·
Registered
721 Posts
2 X HOB - at least AC70's, preferably AC110's
2 X Canister filters

That way whenever you clean 1 or 2 filters, there isn't a major upset to the microbe population and a resultant chemistry fluctuation

·
Registered
623 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts