British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering what type of algae eaters out there would be a good fit with turtles. I bought a regular pleco today on sale for $2.50 at pj pets and it got eaten in about 10 secs. This was after I already fed the turtles. I know there was a chance of it being eaten but my dads tank had tons of rocks nooks and crannies and I really didn't think it would happen...it just stayed in the only open area there was in the tank.... My dad had stuck a pleco in his turtle tank years back (three turtles back then) and it grew to be over 8 inches long..(12 if you count the long tail fin). Maybe some types of plecos are smarter then others?

This is all the more exasperating because I've bought feeder fishes for the turtles and now those feeders are 3 inches long.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm my bro suggested otos
how much do they usually go for? I hear you need at least three per tank

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told that oto's are true algae eaters? As in they eat algae all their lives. Whereas plecos are only good at eating algae when they are young. The older they get the less algae they're willing to eat....that's what the person selling me the small pleco said (about the pleco...didn't see any otos...though I have to admit I wouldn't have known for sure since I didn't know what they were until yesterday night)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Otos would be consumed in seconds by a turtle. After that they won't eat any algea. I would go for a big one that dosent eat as much over a small one that will be swallowed

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
try one of the Ancistrus species (bushy nose). Plenty of styles to choose from and most require a 90% plant matter diet, meaning they'll help with the algae, just remember to feed them vegetables. Also need bogwood in the tank as it helps them digest protein.

Take a peak at charles stock list, if you like something, look it up on Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish as not all are mostly vegetable/algae eaters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts