British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting in a pond and would like to know what kinds of fish (other then koi or gold fish) can live in a pond year round.

Any info would be great!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
weather loach, rosy minnows, bitterling

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ooo and also albino catfish

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx for the tips.

I've heard that the common guppie will winter over but the more fancy one are not as hardy... but I might try if I end up with some extras this summer.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have kept white clouds and guppies Spring Summer Autumn outside no problem :)

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Just cleaned out & re-setup my 90g cube tank outside for irrigating Felicia's Blueberry patch.

Have some Gambusia mosquito fish & Butterfly Koi in there.

Love those Butterfly Koi with their long flowing fins & tails. Great metallic colours too.

Anthony

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Bullhead type catfish are found in local ponds, as were sunfish (although that was when I was a kid). Arapamaias are from the Amazon river, so way too cold in Vancouver for those to survive long term outdoors and waaaaaaay too big to survive indoors unless you flood your basement.

April has some pond fish for sale right now (red minnows or something like that).

Anthony

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And illegal. They are native to Canada and cannot be legally sold.
"IT IS UNLAWFUL TO....Have any live fish in your possession in the wild, or move any live fish or live aquatic invertebrates around the province or transplant them into any waters of B.C." -source Fresh Water Fishing Synopsis

I remember that because I got crap once for having a bucket of crayfish... I always thought you killed them by boiling then dunking in melted butter!:p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts