British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I'll likely be living on the island within the next year, so well outside the GVRD. I'd still vote no right now regardless.

Local profit spending will never happen, unless they did in fact toll inner city. I doubt they'd ever get away with that if it was even murmured at a board meeting. What's the worst that's going to happen to Translink? Provide crappier more unreliable service, fire another CEO.

Rinse, wipe, repeat.

Niku, I'd lose my "stuff" if I was in your position in M.R.. I think the buses are adequate in Surrey, and we have 3 sky train stations to get to, even though a majority only use 1 of 2 out of the 3 since it's the end of the line as of current. I think it's ridiculous it's painted with such a broad stroke, and that can't even suffice.

Give your head a shake Translink.

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly the Trans Canad Highway was set up to be toll free originaly.

The Port man is part of that highway no toll!

count me as a NO

I No longer travel where I am required to pay a toll.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Well since the islands been brought up and the thread revolves around ridiculous things (translink,bcferries) I might as well bring this up and if trans Canada is as defined above in others post then the island hwy would count too so why not build a bridge? The ferries are aging, slow, expensive to run and expensive to replace, fire them all and they can get ei. Build a bridge! It's job creation to complete a project like that so offing bcferries and creating a construction project makes the jobs "lost" moot.

I'd pay huge per tire tolls for on demand infrastructure around the clock and skip the ferries. Just me

FYI even at $20/tire tolls + fuel it would be cheaper and more simple to load up and pile in the jeep and get to the island....don't think so? Add it up

-over height vehicle (jeep with loaded cargo rack)
-2,3,4 or 5 passengers
- fuel surcharges
- reservation fee

Well over $100+ like the hundred plus range is jeep and A, yes a person,taxes,fees so even that price paying $80 for the jeep $20/tire and my own gas I'm quicker and cheaper never mind passenger counts.

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
I was maintinence electrican on the building of the skytrain bridge towers on the Fraser river crossing.

Translink had a whole set of trailers and staff to manage the construction.
An expence I think could have been reduced by 90%.

I agree that BC has the technology to build a bridge to the Islands.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Well since the islands been brought up and the thread revolves around ridiculous things (translink,bcferries) I might as well bring this up and if trans Canada is as defined above in others post then the island hwy would count too so why not build a bridge? The ferries are aging, slow, expensive to run and expensive to replace, fire them all and they can get ei. Build a bridge! It's job creation to complete a project like that so offing bcferries and creating a construction project makes the jobs "lost" moot.
Since I'm a geologist I'll bite. I think this is a good reason not to build a bridge.

Today's Earthquakes in British Columbia, Canada

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Since I'm a geologist I'll bite. I think this is a good reason not to build a bridge.

Today's Earthquakes in British Columbia, Canada
Perfect an expert, because I'm just a realist so before I bother reading that answer this pei population compared to vancouver island?
So significant difference right. Then after that we look at mainland population that could use it also and let's for get industry it's just "joe cars" here. Now in an expert knowledge let's compare environments they got icebergs we don't does that change design and cost. You bet it's cheaper for what we would need here as compared to whats been done there.

Just not enough people pull out maps and books and figure facts. Then you have to think for yourself and be realist for the mass population. Let's think realistic the jobs lost by selling ferries for scrap would be nothing compared to job gains in a project like that, everything from truckers to skilled trades and experts and project paper pushers in the office.

Maybe one day once word gets around that there's a better way.

Last year after our boat was delayed from arriving on time and after having reservation and showing up early and paying big bucks to sit on the car deck because we have a dog( don't even get me started on the canine zone on this water bus) after they read the notice over the load speak I started to chant very loudy "build a bridge , build a bridge!" Turns out I had a friend a couple lanes over who didn't know each other was waiting until after my chanting but any ways we discussed it with many people old timers rv types, trades and engineers(I know bca loves them)

It can be done but an expert opinion is alway welcomed, as for earthquakes dictation on life I guess we better convert the west coast like vancouver downtown core and evacuate Richmond! But don't build that bomb proof hill side bunker too far in the mountains can get landslides....just sayin. So can I borrow your foil hat before I get bca burned haha

·
Registered
718 Posts
How about the fact that our wonderful premier just dumped this in everyone's lap. If she is the "leader" of this province then why doesn't she lead? Instead she hid behind a referendum, that way she can place the blame on translink or the public for making the wrong decision. In my mind she is the biggest problem. Afraid to make a tough decision and hurt her standing in the polls. Something needs to be done, but what?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
By all means buy a house in Richmond. :D The constant flooding of the basements and liquifaction of the soil foundation refutes experts all the time....that's what I like about BCA. There are experts in all fields. Sometimes there are even experts who are experts in all fields at the same time.

Google up Second Narrows bridge failure videos before the Iron Workers bridge was built. I'm going now to research on BCA on how to get to Mars. :D

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
The biggest hurdel to building a bridge is the NIMBY
Not In My Back Yard
many island resident moved to the islands because they are hard to get to and more secluded.

They don't want a bridge/roads over their property.

If they can build long bridges in Japan they can build them here.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The biggest hurdel to building a bridge is the NIMBY
Not In My Back Yard
many island resident moved to the islands because they are hard to get to and more secluded.

They don't want a bridge/roads over their property.

If they can build long bridges in Japan they can build them here.
Actually the biggest obstacle is cost. You can a bridge anywhere. Or a tunnel, for that matter. Just like we can get to the moon. But at what cost? Van Island doesn't even have the population of one city in Japan, let alone their whole nation.

That's the reason why there is no bridge to Vancouver Island. Not because it's an engineering impossibility, but because the cost to make it earthquake stable would make it cost prohibitive. in Asian countries the populations overwhelm the costs to do anything. Look at the Japanese subways, roadways and ferries. And yes, they have tolls everywhere, even with their population base because to make those roads earthquake stable is expensive.

In most big cities in Asia, there are more cars than there are parking spaces, so standard practice is to double park and expect at least a ticket a week. I don't think anyone would find that acceptable here, would they? My friends in Hong Kong pay more to have a parking space than I do for my mortgage per month.

So yes, they can afford to build that bridge. Can we? i bet if they engineered and costed the bridge and asked people to pay it out of their taxes it would kill the discussion right there. I mean, how many people go back and forth to the Island a week? Calculate that with say a $10 billion dollar bridge and we can quickly see how long it would take for all of us to pay extra taxes for. For me, at my age, I won't even be driving by the time the bridge would be finished, even if they started tomorrow, so why would I want to pay for it?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
^Agree wholeheartedly. Its all about the $$$. I saw a paper detailing the costs and it was...a lot :p The problem is ferries are too expensive right now, not the efficiency of the system.

Im not even sure if I support the Broadway corridor expansion. Coming from a student whose commutes 3 hours a day through it, im not sure if the skytrain would be much more efficient (especially cost efficient) compared to the current system. The 99-B line is veeeery efficient.

I just got an e-mail saying that the money from this tax is going straight to the provincial government and can only be used for direct use into the mayor's plan. Not sure if that makes me trust it more...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Have to disagree not so much money or lack of, or even NIMBY. That only applies to social projects and ignorant yuppies.

IMO it's more about how people think, they can't think beyond their nose or see a bigger picture beyond their needs but that boils down to users pay. So bus riders pay for busses with tickets and not motorists with carbon tax and everybody with a sales tax. Won't work, but if drivers pay cost associated to them like ins., gas and bridge tolls and transit users pay the tolls, fuel, operation costs and system upgrades are paid by ticket sales?? User pay system then people aren't double paying. Why should I fund a wasteful un efficient system I don't use??? Exactly! That's the thinking I'm talking about see......you bus riders want to chip in on my fuel bill?? I know you don't use my truck or car but hey if we all pay for what we don't use

Bottom line is build good bridges highways and toll the hell out of them. Then if you transit people wants to go here and there you pay for your buses and skytrain a and turn styles by jacking up ticket costs to a more appropriate cost. Everybody pay for their own choice not everything for nothing attitude like selling my tank everyone wants it cheap and with lights filter ect not realizing that I could have done that but it easily doubles the cost, what? "Ahhhh no too much" they want it all and for less! That's the problem here the moronic I want it all but don't want to pay world we live in today applies to do much. That's why China's booming we want junk and cheap they sell up crap, we could but quality but it's more.....same reason lfs get squashed by petsmart lol I could go on forever really

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
^Agree wholeheartedly. Its all about the $$$. I saw a paper detailing the costs and it was...a lot :p The problem is ferries are too expensive right now, not the efficiency of the system.

Im not even sure if I support the Broadway corridor expansion. Coming from a student whose commutes 3 hours a day through it, im not sure if the skytrain would be much more efficient (especially cost efficient) compared to the current system. The 99-B line is veeeery efficient.

I just got an e-mail saying that the money from this tax is going straight to the provincial government and can only be used for direct use into the mayor's plan. Not sure if that makes me trust it more...
Yeah, the days are gone when I was able to drive from Main and 33rd to UBC in 25 minutes in morning rush hour. Not to mention parking doesn't really exist at UBC anymore either. I would definitely take transit if that opportunity was available to me but like with most people, the transit that we have isn't the easiest to get to or is simply unavailable in the area. Not convenient/available usually means people aren't going to use it. Our ferry system could be a lot cheaper if it didn't have to continue to operate massive money losing routes. They could easily optimize which routes are most effective and operate at capacity. Yes, that means that some routes will not be serviced anymore, so be it.

Personally I don't have any issue with paying more for transit, whether you are a public transit user or a driver. It affects us all. A better transit system (roads and public transit) means better movement for everyone. I think like most people we just don't trust the idiots known as Translink to spend our money wisely.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I think like most people we just don't trust the idiots known as Translink to spend our money wisely.
That hit the nail dead-on the head lol

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Our ferry system could be a lot cheaper if it didn't have to continue to operate massive money losing routes. They could easily optimize which routes are most effective and operate at capacity. Yes, that means that some routes will not be serviced anymore, so be it.
Ok so then who's going to pay to replace ambulance and ferry combo with medi-vacs lol missed the nail on the so be it part that worse then nimby geez guys think for a minute can we have trans Canada and say sorry reduced hours of travel available, it's the only road but you could fly. Same as ferry only option or fly $$$$

So if that's the option "to so be it" then maybe our gov. Should buy out their houses above maket value+ moving expens and so on.... You want to fund that with taxes?? I'd rather not... But so be it I guess we all can pay lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
little bit late seeing as how the topic has somewhat changed, but I am voting a strong yes. Dont get me wrong, i agree that Translink has some major changes to its structure that needs to be done in the immediate future. However, this tax will be controlled by the mayors council, so in effect, we are voting in the council members by electing our city reps. Transit WILL NEED MORE MONEY than it is getting right now. Asmore and more people use it, the demand goes up, as does he cost for upgrading, operating, and replacing. Without this tax boost, the cost for all of that down the road gets higher and higher the longer you wait. not to mention the cost of maintenance on an older fleet of buses, and trains.

So many people going all gung-ho about not paying more taxes, yet they still want more services offered. That is ridiculous in the extreme. Thats like offering NOT to pay your mortgage and still keep your house.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Not quite the same as the mortgage analogy. I'd be fine with paying $10-20 a ticket when I use translink, because I rarely do. I'd like to see more weight on the shoulders of the regular users of the service and accountability with the company itself.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have no problem with paying more taxes IF they are being allocated properly. My ideologies are with countries, like Germany, with much higher taxes but you can see the free health care and education and better infrastructure and green energy.

Over here, our mayor managed to set a record in party election spendings while failing to finish through with his bike share (whatever happened with that anyways?) and all homeless off the streets by spring 2015...

Over here, our local transit conglomerate messed up Compass (a system that has been running smoothly and profitably in Hong Kong for nearly TWO DECADES now) and continue to drive people away from our ferry system with exuberant fare prices and thus lowering profits even more...

I really really do want to see improved infrastructure but I have yet to see why I would trust them with my money.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts