British Columbia Aquariums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It needs to stop. No more spamming the FS threads with complaints. Using "craigslister" like it's a derogatory term is just unfriendly, not becoming of the community we wish to have here.

Many of our contributing members came here by way of craigslist. Things like Richards Rams.. I met him from craigslist told him about our forum and ASKED him to come over here, join, and share his rams with us. He is one of a few members we have here that I have personally invited and has brought good things for all of us.

FS prices...
Don't want to by it . Don't post on the thread.
Pm any offers if it's OBO please..

Keep it nice around here.. We are all nice people let's show it;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hopw about a 10 post minimum before being able to access the classifieds . Many forums have simmilar policies.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would you not want to see someone "offering" things that we might buy? If its not something you want or price is too high move on to next ad. I do not see how it is offensive in any way to have your first post be something you are selling. No one complains when the first post is FF or dirt cheap, we jump on it as members...

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/classified-archive-29/free-sw-tank-accessories-5847/

JoelC gave away this SW set up.. His only 2 posts were FF and thanks gone.. Your suggestion would make this kind of GOODNESS not exist here.. I would rather have the odd overpriced thing I can skip by than close the door on the above kind of opportunities for our members. Wouldn't you?

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Hopw about a 10 post minimum before being able to access the classifieds . Many forums have simmilar policies.
I think classified sections is a great thing to have and offer! I think it's a right to use the classified sections and wish more people got involved rather then just joining to use it..

The problem with the 10 post rules is that people would just spam to get 10 posts... People do that already now because to use PM you need a min post level

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Just thinking out-loud, but we do need to work something out, as there seems to a hostility or mistrust of non-sponsors selling from their collections.
Which is kinda weird; one of the things I like about being a member of the forum is buying equipment and locally bred plants and critters from other members. It's often an opportunity to learn something new and meet interesting people. With only a few exceptions, I've found members to be generous in their transactions.
For folk like me, who breed and sell relatively small numbers of livestock, a 'sponsorship' would cost more than what I sell over the year. Maybe we could have a 'local breeder' category?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Why would you not want to see someone "offering" things that we might buy? If its not something you want or price is too high move on to next ad. I do not see how it is offensive in any way to have your first post be something you are selling. No one complains when the first post is FF or dirt cheap, we jump on it as members...
Doesnt matter to me either way, but I think the 10 post minimum may have been to keep less serious people from using the site as an alternative craiglist. I think thats the way it was before the crash.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
... I would rather have the odd overpriced thing I can skip by than close the door on the above kind of opportunities for our members. Wouldn't you?
---My message below is from a neutral standpoint and from the view of most of the members here..aka, not trying to flame anyone------

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am seeing it being the other way. Its the odd person who is posting it underpriced (FF example above). Most of them fit in one or more categories below:
1. Overpriced (their choice, so its not my concern)
2. No responses back for queries from members (eg: asking for pics etc)
3. No other contact method
4. Location almost always not set -> EN

I do agree that we have awesome members like Richard who joined our community through recommendation. I've myself recommended BCAquaria to craigslisters. Virual is a good example. He just joined recently and he is a great guy that I met through craigslist. He is also part of MFK.

The "issue" is that people here find the above points I described annoying. This in-turn arises a cloud of mis-trust. The main reason would be point 2 and 3 above.

If they have to wait for 10 posts, we then give them an opportunity to explore other parts of the forum. This way they find that the real "goldmine" is not the classifieds and hence we retain these people.

Sure, there will still be some people who would spam to get the 10 posts so that they can put their stuffup for sale, but out of 10 "craigslisters" 3 will just not bother doing the 10 posts, 4 will spam to get their sale up and 3 will discover the resource and community here and will become a part of our community.

I am not sure why the mods fail to see that. Getting more new people to STAY is more important than getting more total number of people signed up.

Again, no people are bad people, it would be great if we can get the "craigslisters" to stay and contribute to this community.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I don't think having posts here makes any difference. I've been personally burned several times by people with a lot of posts here, so what makes them any different than someone just coming off Craigslist. Heck, one person who no showed on me after I fronted the money on a group buy had 10's of positive iTrader reviews. So where do we stop with the criteria for allowing and not allowing people to post up ads?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Personally - and I know I'm not as active a member of this community as the rest of you - I'm with ibenu.

More people will stay if we're a welcoming and friendly community, right? It's not hard to spot the bad apples and report the posts.

I think we're in a stage of confusion after the crash - people's itrader ratings were what helped guide me into making smart decisions in the past, leading me to meet awesome people like Stuart. It'll just take a little time before things get back to normal, you know?

This fear of "craigslisters" is a little bit unfounded. Unless you're the poor bastard who "invests" in $15,000 worth of petcetera fixtures. ;)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Not sure where this drama stemmed from, personally i have no issues with people from craigslist. I only would if they buy from here to resell on craigslist.

Is bumping FS threads of others by saying something constructive allowed. Ie fish for sale and someone who bought previously mentions the fish are doing great that they bought.

Also a question for Nicklfire, is it possible to remove the default location EN and make it mandatory on registration to set a location. Quite a few still post in the classifieds with this as their name despite it being against the forum rules.

I too am a fan of some minor post limit, if 10 posts seems extreme, make it 5. Yes some have come for the sole reason to post an ad and ended up staying and becoming great members, but many would have made those posts anyways if there were a limit

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Also a question for Nicklfire, is it possible to remove the default location EN and make it mandatory on registration to set a location. Quite a few still post in the classifieds with this as their name despite it being against the forum rules.
The default location EN was changed a long time ago and currently is mandatory.

Any EN you see is from people who signed up a long time ago and have not yet changed it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
---My message below is from a neutral standpoint and from the view of most of the members here..aka, not trying to flame anyone------[/U]
You have never been neutral in your posting in said threads your one of the people I'm talking to when I say the the Whining on those ads has to stop.

And from the view of most members here? You do not speak for me>? Or any of the many people I have spoken to face to face, so please kindly edit that this is YOUR opinion lest any newer members here believe you really speak for "most members here" even some members would be a more apt description.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am seeing it being the other way. Its the odd person who is posting it underpriced (FF example above). Most of them fit in one or more categories below:
1. Overpriced (their choice, so its not my concern)[/U]
I call BS on the not your concern... I have seen you say "they dont know the going rate here" and deleted it ,as there is NO GOING rate here, its what I or anybody else sees fit to list their belongings at. Dont like it move on to another ad.
2. No responses back for queries from members (eg: asking for pics etc)
3. No other contact method
4. Location almost always not set -> EN

I do agree that we have awesome members like Richard who joined our community through recommendation. ..................

If they have to wait for 10 posts.....we retain these people.

Sure, there will still be some people who would spam to get the 10 posts so that they can put their stuffup for sale, but out of 10 "craigslisters" 3 will just not bother doing the 10 posts, 4 will spam to get their sale up and 3 will discover the resource and community here and will become a part of our community.
People not listing location or other communication methods is annoying, but as they are allowed to get PM's send them one.

I say 5 out 10 people who are allowed to post right away will stay and 5 will just post what they have for sale and go.. That's two more members than we have by either of our impossible to verify projections.

I am not sure why the mods fail to see that. Getting more new people to STAY is more important than getting more total number of people signed up.
Thats just insulting to myself as a mod.. truly that you would insinuate higher numbers is more important to us than having people stay.Im trying to make sure new members want to stay and explore, not have them get lambasted by members like you.

Cause I gotta say If I had been the poster who read this on MY FS thread..
...this user is most likely a craigslister and is just posting for what he would in craigslist. He doesnt know the current going rate (in BCA).
I would hit the road and never come back. So in an effort to be a good mod and get new people to stay I delete smack talk like that. Help me out eh? skip posting that kinda stuff to begin with.

Making BCA friendly and more accessible as apposed to less is whats going to keep members here, not making it harder to participate.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Is bumping FS threads of others by saying something constructive allowed. Ie fish for sale and someone who bought previously mentions the fish are doing great that they bought.
I would think so unless it gets out of hand, that it should be allowed. I've seen users and mods doing it, and I see nothing wrong with that. I know it's helped my sale of plants when someone has vouged for me or given a serious "thanks a million".

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I think the most peoples problem it that it seems there are more classified post than interactive/questions/help type post. Personally I like cheap and free :) I don't really mind people posting things in the classifieds as their first post or first five post. Atleast it mixes it up, as opposed to seeing the same classifieds that just keep getting bumped up to the top everyday. I think that's unnecessary, unless it has an update of some kind (ex. price change or items added sold ect...). I think once every few days to a week is sufficient for bumps to the top. If people are looking to buy things, they most likely are in that classified subforum looking for it or are using the search function.

It needs to stop. No more spamming the FS threads with complaints. Using "craigslister" like it's a derogatory term is just unfriendly, not becoming of the community we wish to have here.

Many of our contributing members came here by way of craigslist. Things like Richards Rams.. I met him from craigslist told him about our forum and ASKED him to come over here, join, and share his rams with us. He is one of a few members we have here that I have personally invited and has brought good things for all of us.

FS prices...
Don't want to by it . Don't post on the thread.
Pm any offers if it's OBO please..

Keep it nice around here.. We are all nice people let's show it;)
Totally agree with this.... I do alot of stuff thru CL myself & I know there are alot of idiots on there, but there's alot more honest people there not out to rip people off. I have met a couple people off CL, who had great prices and much to offer here as well . I love this forum , lots of good, friendly,helpful people and good deals here, so I try to help build the community with more good people. I have pointed them to us & have seen them as an active member here in sections other than classifieds.
as for overpriced, I agree don't want to buy it , then don't post on it. What it's worth is only what one is willing to pay for it. And we all want it for as cheap as possible. we're only human lol But if someone is selling 90 gallon tank with a steel stand for $200 , then why does someone feel someones 90 gallon with a nice pine stand, 2 canister filters, 100+lbs of substrate, heaters, power head, decorations, Hagen HO T5 fixture and spare bulb. is so over priced & not worth $500-$600 OBO. OBO mean make an offer not criticize the price. I'm sure they paid twice the asking price for everything if bought new and I'm sure had they parted it out they would have got close to their asking price out of everything, I see 55 gal setup go for $300 everyday. So I guess prices are just what someone is willing to pay for it, not necessarily it's actual worth.
Just my 2 cents:)

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
My only concern would be if new members didn't know a fair price (not a "BCA going price" as someone put it) and actually over paid what it would cost them retail. That wouldn't be fair to our new members, albeit they did it to themselves for not researching prices prior.

I can see both sides of this, but would have to side with ibenu. I don't see constructiveness from general whining about pricing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
So does this mean In a post that was just up I wrote they need to state an asking price as per rule number #1 is not allowed???

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
There is no issue with that as far as I'm concerned. I'll be deleting their ads if they don't follow the rules, and I can say with confidence there was forewarning prior to me private messaging them. Plenty of time to fix it.

I commonly see people giving casual heads-up on this and other rules, I think it's a nice community to remind people what's needed. This is different from complaining or flaming a post.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.