British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

White fuzz on Crowntail.

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Diztrbd1 
#1 ·
One of my younger crowntail bettas has developed cottony white fuzz on multiple ray extensions. Nothing on the body. He eats wells and swims around fine, but the fuzz looks like he swam through some dust bunnies.

Any ideas what it could be? Some sort of fungus? Treatment options?
Using salt at the moment.

Thanks.

#3 ·
my crowntails been getting these recently too. He only gets them on one ray at a time then they eventually fall off then come back on another ray in a few hours :( He's had them for a little over a week and it doesn't seem to bother him other than making his fins look a little ratty :(

#5 ·
I wonder if crowntails are more susceptible because one of my other crowntails had it before too. The ray fell off and he is fine now, but this little guy has more on a few rays.

Sounds like fungus.

I would net the betta. Hold the net in a bucket in the air. Pipette several drops of Methylene Blue onto the affected area. Let sit for several seconds. Place betta back into the tank.

Please note: Methylene Blue will stain so I suggest being very careful with this med.

Good Luck.

Stuart
Thanks. I will have to get some MB then. Is it safe to directly drop the medication onto him?

#4 ·
Sounds like fungus.

I would net the betta. Hold the net in a bucket in the air. Pipette several drops of Methylene Blue onto the affected area. Let sit for several seconds. Place betta back into the tank.

Please note: Methylene Blue will stain so I suggest being very careful with this med.

Good Luck.

Stuart

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.