British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello so I recently set up a tank and used some store bought driftwood I bought a couple years ago. Now Iveused it in my first try at a planted tank.
Any way, it's getting a white alge almost. I think it happened to me one other time, now that I think of it. But what is happening.....? I soaked it for like 5 days and kept the water fresh all the time. I think it looks looks terrible, any info would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe it's just a bacterial bloom on the driftwood. It isn't harmful, and it will go away in a few weeks.

Hello so I recently set up a tank and used some store bought driftwood I bought a couple years ago. Now Iveused it in my first try at a planted tank.
Any way, it's getting a white alge almost. I think it happened to me one other time, now that I think of it. But what is happening.....? I soaked it for like 5 days and kept the water fresh all the time. I think it looks looks terrible, any info would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
519 Posts
As someone else has said its a bacteria bloom normally happens to a new piece of driftwood when added. It doesn't affect anything or is harmful in anyway manual removal and waiting is the only way to get rid of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Bacterial algae is harmless but if you want it gone boil it for a couple of hours. Get yourself an old canner or large pot they work great. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts