British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking in my tank wondering why the shrimp were freaking out when they landed on some plants. I took out the magnifying glass and found tons of worms with antennas. I pulled the plants and put in a bucket. How do I get rid of these? They are only in one tank unfortunately the tank they are in has numerous berried blue pearls. I also have a skin irritation after touching the plants.
Can I catch the shrimp and put them in a different container and dose the dickens out of that tank then do a water change after a few days? Right now the plants are soaking in a big dose of Fenbendazole

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think a tank reset is in order. That would freak me out...

The best way I would think is to clean the filter, retain as much of the same water and clean/toss everything else. This way you wont have any chances of the worms re-appearing...
Thank you. I'm scared they are in the water. I agree...I think everything is going to get tossed. The skin irritation did it for me. I'm going to put the plants in a jar with the wormer to see if it kills them. (Curiosity sake) I will try and take a pic of them too. If any of you have these, don't let them touch your skin!

·
Registered
519 Posts
It sounds like Hydra to me, kinda a relative to an salt water anemone, copper kills em, but that would do the shrimp in as well.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thank you. I'm scared they are in the water. I agree...I think everything is going to get tossed. The skin irritation did it for me. I'm going to put the plants in a jar with the wormer to see if it kills them. (Curiosity sake) I will try and take a pic of them too. If any of you have these, don't let them touch your skin!

I've never had anything like that but I do know in my most successful tank yet that there are tons of white worms in the soil - that occasionally swim to the top or around to leaves (and I pluck them out) along with daphnia flying around... I'm curious now how they look like.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like Hydra to me, kinda a relative to an salt water anemone, copper kills em, but that would do the shrimp in as well.
Thank you. Yes definitely looks like it

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never had anything like that but I do know in my most successful tank yet that there are tons of white worms in the soil - that occasionally swim to the top or around to leaves (and I pluck them out) along with daphnia flying around... I'm curious now how they look like.

Definitely them I think.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Canadian Aquatics has that No-Planaria, that is shrimp safe. That way you could leave your tank. Not sure if it kills hydra too.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that turned into a nightmare. Cracked my one and only rimless tank while cleaning it. :( Raced to the LFS and grabbed a cheap 5 gallon. Boo!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Too bad about your tank.

Your picture is of hydra. I have rarely had it in tanks except for ones that I heavily feeding fry in, especially brine shrimp nauplii. Often if you are feeding natural green water / infusium you will have them as they are naturally occurring Protozoa.

Hydra are mainly plankton eaters but I am sure some have symbiotic algae growing with them that is why they can appear green. They are very like an salt water anemone and use stinging cells in their pseudopods (tentacles) to paralyse and grasp food. Their main food is very small plankton and small food particals so they would not be welcome in tanks with very small fry, i.e. tetra type or small crusteans like baby shrimp.

At present I only have one tank where they are obvious - juvenile Africans where they are not causing an issue. I have never seen them in a well cleaned tank with great water filtration, that's how deal with them. My guess is there are even some predatory fish that would eat them but their stinging cells are for prey capture and defence.

Others may see them as a major threat, I see them as a nuisance and in indicator that I have some tank maintenance to attend to.

Reactions: Atom

·
Registered
420 Posts
Never heard of this critter in FRESHwater tanks. I am on the lookout for hatching snails, but never give HYDRA a thought. How common are these?

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Hydra kill shrimp quite often comes in on plants. Levimasole kills them and not the shrimp.
Also gouramis eat hydra.
We got levimasole
From
A
Vet once when we had hydra in a shrimp tank at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too bad about your tank.

Your picture is of hydra. I have rarely had it in tanks except for ones that I heavily feeding fry in, especially brine shrimp nauplii. Often if you are feeding natural green water / infusium you will have them as they are naturally occurring Protozoa.

Hydra are mainly plankton eaters but I am sure some have symbiotic algae growing with them that is why they can appear green. They are very like an salt water anemone and use stinging cells in their pseudopods (tentacles) to paralyse and grasp food. Their main food is very small plankton and small food particals so they would not be welcome in tanks with very small fry, i.e. tetra type or small crusteans like baby shrimp.

At present I only have one tank where they are obvious - juvenile Africans where they are not causing an issue. I have never seen them in a well cleaned tank with great water filtration, that's how deal with them. My guess is there are even some predatory fish that would eat them but their stinging cells are for prey capture and defence.

Others may see them as a major threat, I see them as a nuisance and in indicator that I have some tank maintenance to attend to.
Thanks for the info.:) The tank was set up 3 months ago. The shrimp were added Black Friday. I barely fed because I had algae growth on a plant I bought. I think it was hitchikers. I could be wrong but everything was new. I'm definitely going to read up on it more tonight now that I have time

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hydra kill shrimp quite often comes in on plants. Levimasole kills them and not the shrimp.
Also gouramis eat hydra.
We got levimasole
From
A
Vet once when we had hydra in a shrimp tank at home.

Thank you April. :) I'm petrified to buy plants now. What can I do to treat any further plants before adding in the tanks? The last time I had an issue was another new tank a few months ago. Same thing. ..bought some plants and next thing I see was planaria on the glass.

The blue pearls and a carbon rili I got from you are berried. I hope all this moving around and new home doesn't cause any casualties.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never heard of this critter in FRESHwater tanks. I am on the lookout for hatching snails, but never give HYDRA a thought. How common are these?
They are nasty! The skin irritation only lasted about 3 hrs so I was happy about that. Hopefully they aren't that common.

·
Registered
214 Posts
They are nasty! The skin irritation only lasted about 3 hrs so I was happy about that. Hopefully they aren't that common.

I had them in a small 5 gallon tank I used for my Painted Fire Red Cherries and after buying plants from a local member here I ended up with both Hydra and Planaria. I bought some No Planaria from Patrick and it took two doses but killed them all but not the shrimp. I still have that same colony of breeding Painted Fire Red Neos but not Hydra nor Planaria. I did not buy the big package of No Planaria, Just enough for three doses from Patrick and that was more than enough. Still have a backup dose in case some come in on plants I purchase in the future from members. I don't universally quarantine but one tank that does have shrimp also accepts all newly introduced plants.

Cheers,
Sean

Reactions: Gaia

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Tropica bio secure
Plants .
Another thing thst can happen which I learnt the hard way is plants from
Asia have
Been treated with something like copper or
Something and if you add them
To shrimp
Tanks it kills them
All.
Even some
Tiny sensitive micro
Fish.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tropica bio secure
Plants .
Another thing thst can happen which I learnt the hard way is plants from
Asia have
Been treated with something like copper or
Something and if you add them
To shrimp
Tanks it kills them
All.
Even some
Tiny sensitive micro
Fish.

Thanks for the info! That's scary as well!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hydra are harmless to all but the tiniest of fish fry and shrimp nauplii. Some fish , like guppies will eat them , and hydra will naturally die off in aquariums if food is scarce for them . They can feed on some "infusoria" and tiny particles of uneaten fish food. They'll die off in aquariums if there isn't food for them there.
Most never notice them , but hydra are very common in our lakes, streams and ponds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts