British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had this same question before the crash...I got the answer, but dont remember the name of the fish anymore. So I would like to kindly ask our experts again to ID him for me :)

I can get a better picture if necessary. Sometimes the black stripe in middle is gone and he is full green.

EDIT: Found the name

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one knows the name?

I got an answer last time...Someone please enlighten me on the name! :D

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
looks like a red empress. Head shape is off but it could be the angle of the photo.

I am not good at ID-ing malawi. Tom is much better at Malawi. Perhaps he can comment you on that.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like a red empress. Head shape is off but it could be the angle of the photo.

I am not good at ID-ing malawi. Tom is much better at Malawi. Perhaps he can comment you on that.
Thanks for the help Charles, but I know for a fact that its not a Red Empress.

This fish always stays green with that black bar in the middle, when he is showing off, he is bright green and no black bar.

Last time when I got a name, it was right and it was not red empress :)

Hopefully Tom or Paul can look at it and help me out.

I really appreciate your help. I know this is a hard one to ID.:D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm i would say it looks like a Cheilochromis euchilus

-Mike
unfortunately, its not. The lips are def. not big and this guy only has 1 black bar down the middle.

anyone else have a clue as to who this suspicious hap could be?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am by far no expert ;) but to me it looks like a hybrid between red empress and another.... unless you know for a fact that its 'purebred'

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its not a hybrid

it is a purebreed fish...just dont remember the name...lol

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked it up and managed to find it...
The name is:
Protomelas marginatus

There is hardly any information on this fish...I guess its really rare...lucky me :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks like a marginatus to me. I had a group years ago and they were breeding quite regularly. I found them to be quite peaceful. Mine had more red in the anal fin though from what I remember. Definitely not a very common fish in the hobby IME.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts