British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.......I was a small part of the site before...but since the crash find that I spend more time here than previous...and I really enjoy the site and the members!

My name is Sarah and I am a fish geek....but I am also a Mom..with 2 kids. I have only a few hobbies but put my heart and soul into them 110%.

My first tank was an oldie of my Dads...he used to breed Bettas and Discus..with the odd Angel spawn and others. I also used to read all the old TFH magazines that he had lying around as he subscribed for YEARS! So I read them all, cover to cover and learned a lot. My first tank setup was 50 gallons and I was 10. I had angels, kribs, rams and neons. I bred my first fish at 11 or 12....Rams. And boy was I excited! I then bred my angels and kribs.

In my early teens I had 6 or more fish tanks in my room at all times. We had a house fire when I was 18 and I lost all my fish. I was more upset about them than my clothing and other material possessions. So I was fishless for a few years. Then I had a couple of tanks in my twenties which were Discus tanks and .... fancy goldfish! It was fun. Then I really got into my car. It was a cool car, had hydraulics, was pretty sweet...I went to many car shows then got married. I again had no fish for a few years and then the salt water bug HIT! And HIT HARD! My husband and I started our first tank in 2003 together and have had as many as 7 saltwater tanks running at the same time. Our largest tank is an SPS dedicated system which is 150 gallons. Our smallest reef was 2.5 gallons and a ton of fun!

I managed a veterinary hospital for the last 21 years and wanted/needed a change...so our latest venture was purchasing a pet store whose main focus has always been their freshwater fish, with a dabble in salt water. This was Feb 1 of this year, and we can say we've never looked back. I LOVE my job and it has furthered my hobby. I CAN own them all LOL.

With this new "purchase" we did want to expand our salt water section as it's my passion.....so we have a small bit and have plans to add more, and have also set up a 300 gallon tank that is salt water, and will be a mixed reef. We've had a couple of setbacks with the setup with builders not showing up to finish the canopy and stand, and then the electrical...plus we stocked it lightly and ended up with a sick fish that I didn't quarantine and it basically killed off our initial fish. (ARGH) and yes, I do know better. I don't advertise on this site YET, but will at some point. Gotta get the ducks in a row, a website etc etc etc....but with respect to other fantastic shops that do advertise please don't ask my stores name etc etc.

So..that's who I am. I am a fish geek.

·
Registered
309 Posts
whats your stores name? :D

glad to see you back, i didnt know you had a store, i would love to come see it sometime... i know your reefs are amazing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have no idea who you are but hopefully will find out soon. Good to have another pro on here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nano!

O.C.D. far from a "pro" but I know a good amount about a bunch of fish stuff!:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome back! Thx for the introduction; I've seen you on the Canreef forum and have followed some of your posts, particularly your 10 ft tank build at your store I believe. Great to have you here!:)

·
Registered
773 Posts
you know alot more than I do, and we are hoping to set up our first salty soon. Dun dun dun

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Welcome back :)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
welcome...

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
What an interesting story you have told. And, what a dream job! (At least on paper; I'm sure that the store was expensive and it's a huge amount of work to run it. But still, it sounds like you spend your days the way a lot of us would like to spend our days...)

Welcome to BCA! So nice to have you hear.

Hey all.......I was a small part of the site before...but since the crash find that I spend more time here than previous...and I really enjoy the site and the members!

My name is Sarah and I am a fish geek....but I am also a Mom..with 2 kids. I have only a few hobbies but put my heart and soul into them 110%.

My first tank was an oldie of my Dads...he used to breed Bettas and Discus..with the odd Angel spawn and others. I also used to read all the old TFH magazines that he had lying around as he subscribed for YEARS! So I read them all, cover to cover and learned a lot. My first tank setup was 50 gallons and I was 10. I had angels, kribs, rams and neons. I bred my first fish at 11 or 12....Rams. And boy was I excited! I then bred my angels and kribs.

In my early teens I had 6 or more fish tanks in my room at all times. We had a house fire when I was 18 and I lost all my fish. I was more upset about them than my clothing and other material possessions. So I was fishless for a few years. Then I had a couple of tanks in my twenties which were Discus tanks and .... fancy goldfish! It was fun. Then I really got into my car. It was a cool car, had hydraulics, was pretty sweet...I went to many car shows then got married. I again had no fish for a few years and then the salt water bug HIT! And HIT HARD! My husband and I started our first tank in 2003 together and have had as many as 7 saltwater tanks running at the same time. Our largest tank is an SPS dedicated system which is 150 gallons. Our smallest reef was 2.5 gallons and a ton of fun!

I managed a veterinary hospital for the last 21 years and wanted/needed a change...so our latest venture was purchasing a pet store whose main focus has always been their freshwater fish, with a dabble in salt water. This was Feb 1 of this year, and we can say we've never looked back. I LOVE my job and it has furthered my hobby. I CAN own them all LOL.

With this new "purchase" we did want to expand our salt water section as it's my passion.....so we have a small bit and have plans to add more, and have also set up a 300 gallon tank that is salt water, and will be a mixed reef. We've had a couple of setbacks with the setup with builders not showing up to finish the canopy and stand, and then the electrical...plus we stocked it lightly and ended up with a sick fish that I didn't quarantine and it basically killed off our initial fish. (ARGH) and yes, I do know better. I don't advertise on this site YET, but will at some point. Gotta get the ducks in a row, a website etc etc etc....but with respect to other fantastic shops that do advertise please don't ask my stores name etc etc.

So..that's who I am. I am a fish geek.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
=) Welcome!
Gawd i hope you become a sponsor.. i need to know the name LOL!
Too funny!

And Yes, it really is a dream job...with lots of sweat and hard work (plus a bit of cash worked into the mix)! But on any given day, it's still a perfect day. I do exactly what I love, have fantastic employees, and at the end of the day, I can be proud of what I have done.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Sarah,

Are you going to the Vancouver Island frag swap in September? We might be coming over for it and if we do & you need something from this side, let me know. Save you some shipping costs.

Oh, and wow, learned more about you from your intro than in all the years we've been members together on these fish sites;)

Anthony

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, Sarah, thank you for your story. I love that you have taken your hobby and can work at it daily and love it so much. Not many people have that opportunity. Congratulations and welcome back to BCA!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sarah,

Are you going to the Vancouver Island frag swap in September? We might be coming over for it and if we do & you need something from this side, let me know. Save you some shipping costs.

Oh, and wow, learned more about you from your intro than in all the years we've been members together on these fish sites;)

Anthony
LOL!!! It's funny how a few small paragraphs can tell so much about a person. I am going to try to go to the frag swap. May not have any frags as my tank went a bit "south" during the purchase of the store and all the "pre" headaches....but it's coming back slowly but surely! I will let you know if I need anything, I really appreciate the offer!!! Whenever I can save a bit I am sooo totally IN!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts