British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power Compact versus T5 ??????

Every where i turn, everyone seems to have such an opposing opinion on the subject. So why did you choose the fixture that your using?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have BOTH!

I love my Coralife Aqualight 4x65w Fixture, but it exhaust a little too much heat!

As for the T5 NO, they use les energy and produce less heat~ I'll be using them on my other tank!

But out of my knowledge T5 HO is superior because of less wasted energy and more sufficient light!

But correct me guys, cause I know i'm always wrong LOL!

·
Registered
124 Posts
My first 48inch T5HO came with my tank as a kit. I picked up my 4x65 Coralife Aqualight because I thought it was superior because of the wattage. Apparently I'm wrong? 4 65 watt bulbs aren't as strong as 2 54 watt T5HO?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
T5HO are superior to PC in every way, shape and form from light output, to efficiency, to price, to colour choices.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i'm using t5no, metal halides, led's (cheap china versions) and t5ho in my tanks..

fav is t5ho with a nice reflector... LOTS of light, cheap to buy, easy on my hydro bill..... old house = limited power before I start blowing breakers

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now at king ed's, their staff, and the guy that does the show tank right inside the front door, ( he also is a professional aquarium keeper) all say PC all the way, they say, " significant more lumens from the PC's..........

This is whats bugging me, how can there be so much confusion. Everyone in here, seems to be of like opions, (majority atleast) i know theres some seriously experienced people in this forum, so how is it that the opinions in here, are so contrary to the staff at king eds.

·
Registered
310 Posts
well it comes down to what your doing. IMHO t-5 ho is much better for plants, and looks better then p/c, much brighter. but that also depends on the fixture. i know that you can get sun blaster t-5s for 25 dollars, with bulb and ballast, but you have to build the canopy yourself, and the bulbs suck for reefs. its like saying "whats better, a ford or a chevie?" there are so many variables, that it comes down to opinnion, and so many other factors.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I've always read T5HO's are "better", with that said I've got 2x34w 10000k's in my biocube and a 96w on my 10 gallon.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had PC and now T6HO (which are really T5HO). The PC were hot and the bulbs won't last as long as T5's. My PC had an noticable fade and the spectrum changed within 6mo. As for t5ho if you get the nicer bulbs i.e. Giesman then there is not too much difference.

IMO, I think PC will produce a better light from Month 0-3....then it starts to really go south. Go have a look at Ocean aquatics.. They have Corals and clams growing with T5HO (last time I was there). The way I see it is that if its good enough for corals and clams, then its more than good enough for plants.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts