British Columbia Aquariums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started to price a few things out online and noticed after adding quite a few items that I was shopping on the American site. So I quickly change over to the Canadian site and find out that everything is quite a bit more expensive over here. Now being a Canadian this is nothing new since our currency is usually below the US greenback but there seems to be a massive mark-up once it crosses the border. Like 20-40% more expensive in some cases! Our dollar has been close to parity for quite a while now so why are we getting hosed so bad?

Example 1 - Canada vs USA
Example 2 - Canada vs USA
Example 3 - Canada vs USA

·
Registered
79 Posts
I heard it has something to do with the Free Trade Agreement. I also heard that it's only good if you live in USA

·
Registered
499 Posts
Because they can, Canadians are trained from birth to bend over and take it up the ass ! and apoligize for not get bent over fast enough !

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Because they can, Canadians are trained from birth to bend over and take it up the ass ! and apoligize for not get bent over fast enough !
HAHAHA!!! LOL!

Everything is taxes after taxes after taxes!

Lets look at it this way, from the mining of metal pieces to the production to the transport to the warehouse to the retailer... everything has taxes! And so yes, it adds up, but to add up ridiculously... WELCOME TO CANADA!

BC in general has the most ridiculous tax! But can't complain, we do live in a great area and have awesome health care!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
the worst is when they tax the same thing over and over and over again, ie now under HST private car sales even get taxed. the avg car has about 4 owners and it will be taxed every time it changes hands.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You think that's ridiculous? I only started driving 10 years ago... it wuz $0.344/litre when I first had to gas up my car... and i wuz like OMG! look at it 10 years later!

And look at food? OMG! You kidding me? with the HST, it's now double the taxes which we were paying for! I guess the government dun want us to eat!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
funny thing is the average household tax burden is higher in the states than here, you just don't feel it on purchases as much as the states do.

But most of the links you posted showed a discount, which was promotional, so the cost difference wasn't actually that much

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
funny thing is the average household tax burden is higher in the states than here, you just don't feel it on purchases as much as the states do.

But most of the links you posted showed a discount, which was promotional, so the cost difference wasn't actually that much
i know their income tax is lower, do they have some kind of sales tax i dont know about?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Petsandpond online store is cheaper then big als on line, but also take in account that big als has the 15% disc for bcaquaria members.

I tried to get an online place through the states to ship to my american post box but the billing address has to be the same as the shipping:(. If I ever move to the states I'll smuggle things in for ya !!!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Usually, you just need to add an alternate shipping address to your credit card and sometimes you may need to call in the order rather than use the online checkout. Can be done, but its sometimes a bit more work.

Petsandpond online store is cheaper then big als on line, but also take in account that big als has the 15% disc for bcaquaria members.

I tried to get an online place through the states to ship to my american post box but the billing address has to be the same as the shipping:(. If I ever move to the states I'll smuggle things in for ya !!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hmmm in that case it's no prob. I get paid to retrieve things down there for my boss also have permission to use the companies USA mailing address. If I can make it work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i know their income tax is lower, do they have some kind of sales tax i dont know about?
I am currently live in the US (California to be exact) from each check they take federal income tax, social security, state income tax, state disability insurance premium.

Social Security can be higher or equal to income tax.

There is no federal level sales tax, but most states have a sales tax and then there is also a sales tax at the local level in many area's.

They find creative ways to add fees and taxes to things.

I do pay more in taxes and government fees here then I did while living in BC.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Firstly Canada & the United States are two seperate and unique markets.

Aquarium products are not only subject to this difference in price, but every product available.

What we offer is Best Price Policy, which anyone can use to their advantage.

If you find the same item offered by a Canadian Online Retailer, we will match and beat the price by an additional 5%.

To receive the US price you will need to provide a US Shipping Address.

This can be done if you have family in the US or if you use a third party service such as MyUS.com (We are not affilliated whatsoever)

Also if you do place an order with the US side any warranty or returns must go back to the US warehouse and not the Canadian warehouse.

To place an order please call in and ask to speak with Josh @ BigAlsOnline

The address must be a physical address as UPS does not deliver to PO Box addresses.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I didn't know that you match other online prices, Big Als. Thanks for letting us know.

I do find it very convenient to order from you online.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.