British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought a couple plants in from outside, and despite the fact that I rinsed and rinsed them, I still saw a couple of red worms (mosquito larvae?) fall into the tank from the roots.

First, can they harm my fish (betta + minnows) at all? Or will the fish get sick if they eat them?

And second, if the fish don't get them, am I going to have some kind of infestation on my hands? o_O

·
Registered
153 Posts
red worms are not mosquito larvae, mosquito larvae are black and don't look like worms at all. what you have is probably some sort of midge fly larvae. and yes probably safe to feed, i feed wild insect lavae from my pond to my bettas all the time

·
Registered
96 Posts
I raise bloodworms outdoors until they are about an inch for my bettas. As far as I know they are safe. They will not harm your fish. They feed on blue-green algae in the water column and on surfaces, not fish blood! :). You will not have an infestation on your hand. The red-worm (bloodworm) stage is the larva of the midge fly. It then pupates in a mucous burrow into what fly fishers refer to as a chironomid. When the pupa has matured, it leaves the safety of its burrow and makes a run for the water surface where it emerges as the flying adult midge. The adult does not feed and its sole purpose is to mate, lay eggs in water, and die. Unless you have adults flying around your tank and laying eggs you're NOT going to have an infestation. Besides, even if you did, your fish would appreciate the snack.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know they're not mosquitos. Hate those buggers :p
Also good to know they're safe for fishies to eat, and that they're not likely going to spread.

Funny though, Enigma (betta) didn't seem to pay any attention to the worms... I saw one float down in front of him, and he ignored it... I was hoping he'd eat it up right then and there.

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i Use to feed mosquito larva, i had a old 30 gal outside with some water in it, i sometimes got alot out of it. Fish loved it !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts