British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
no if u look it says max load 29 lbs with a 20 gallon with out anything in it is almost 29 pounds
It says "a shelf", so I thought maybe they mean these thin ones in the middle, not the top part.

Thanks for the input. I just saw it says the filling inside is paper, WOW! Why it's made to look so thick and solid and is filled with paper?!?!?
Anyway, I might consider it for one of my 5 g.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have one of those units (4x4) one. I would say that it could support a 20 g vertically, however it does not have any lateral supports, so it'll collapse (...sideways..?) under the 20g weight. If you reinforce it with a additional metal brackets, and a piece of solid wood in the back it would probably work.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have this shelf from ikea.. it appears solid and strong but I don't think i'd place a 20g on it... i have a 5.5g and two 2.5g on it and for over a year it held two 5.5g fine.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody. I was thinking to get it for the 5.5 g one at least as it fits my place well (4x4 one). Don't know for reinforcement, that sounds like a great idea, but how I can be sure it is safe? That's my issue, I can't really tell myself :(

target, I sent the link to my husband and will see what he thinks :) Thanks a lot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts