British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if there is a soccer thread ? but im loving the upsets this year !!

first it was greece , now italy [email protected]! yess :eek::eek:

plus my 2 teams , england and germany (both of countries my great grandparents came from ) , have moved on to the round of 16 !! , but will have to face each other ! boo ..

very fun to watch [email protected]!

:cool:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Even though im Italian, im glad to see them feel an upset like this. Play style has long been an issue with the italians and other 'western' european nations. The old Coaches wish to retain that defense heavy strategy where they try to maintain that 1 goal lead rather than go full out for a 2 goal lead. With athletes being able to do more and more physically, its really starting to show how weak that strategy is becoming. Perhaps it'll finally make them drop those coaches.

As for the nations that made it, they deserved it and i hate to see them discredited by people saying they made it only because the others sucked. quite a few of their players play in the premier leagues as it is. With many of these teams making it, there will be a funding boost to their athletes. I wouldn't be surprised in 2 or 3 world cups seeing more of these underdog nations eliminating the old power houses.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i agree , if anything this world cup has shown us that anyone can win !! but sure there are still some powerhouses remaining ! , ie : brazil , argentina just to name a few ..

but its anyones guess who will take it [email protected]!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
south american power houses are of the right frame of mind, offense offense and offense, people pay to see excitement, not a 0 - 0 tie
ya no doubt , this only comes around every 4 yrs , make it count !! go for the goals ........... ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a real shock to see both France and Italy out of the World Cup but good to see other countries like the U.S. do well and advance. Sigh! I wish that Canada was in this.:(

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'm French, so I suggest we close this thread immediately. ;)

Actually I'm Canadian. 4 years ago I was mostly French, but now I'm mostly Canadian. We'll see in 4 years time. Very convenient, to have 2 passports.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts