British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to some unknown reason I find myself having to replace both my filters on my 80gal tank. The power went out and now for some reason neither filter that I had running will work. I will probably have to order something online as the prices in Kamloops for filters is silly.

What I am wondering is which would be the best filter for this size tank?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
as comparison between my Xp2 and two Fluval 205's, the impellor and flow in the Xp is almost twice that of Fluval. Xp is also quieter.
While all the filters over the two years since they've been new are operating just fine, I'd stay with the Xp of any model unless I could afford the Ehiem or a home in Shaunessy.

Has anyone also noticed that the Xp impellor is twice the size of the Fluval?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Never personally owned an XP , so i cant speak on its behalf.As for using a Fluval, i have owned several and to this day still have two running like champs without any issues(3yrs going).I can tell you that the 04/05 series is quite quiet to the point i have to get near it to actually hear it run.No other problems have appeared either and no parts have been replaced.Only some media has had to be changed in the last year or so.Bottom line, the choice is yours to make at the end of the day along with what fish you are keeping or gonna keep.Expenses come a close second with cost/power use/part availability etc.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
XP3 hands down. The only fluval I would get will be the FX5. The older ones are not reliable in long term.
Usually gasket and sealing problems ending up with water leaking out of the fluvals.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Eheim's are awesome, my only regret after IPU convinced me that this was THE canister filter to buy for my setup, was that they stopped bringing in eheim filter media. i asked them to call me when they brought some in (this was about 3 months ago) and eventually gave up and bought some bigger sponge for a different filter and cut it down. kinda ticks me off actually that they'd try so hard to sell this filter and then stop bringing in the blue sponge media.
might be another reason to get the XP

i agree with eternity to go buy it at JL aquatics too

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Happy with my XP3s. I usually use Eheims, but no complaints about XPs.

Check the classifieds. Betta boy is selling an XP3 for $90 and there are probably others in there as well.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I find the flow on the XP3 really really slows down when it start getting clogged, unlike my Eheims and Fluvals. But maybe that's the Fluval's bypass. I hate the intake on the XP3 (the little modular sections, my cichlids knock them off so often that I had to fasten my own gasket to secure it after a fish got stuck in the intake). The removal for cleaning the filter is much superior to the Fluval though. My Fluval gets stuck all the time when I try to release the head for filter maintenance.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The micro filter that goes in the top of the xp3 slows down the flow a lot, removed it, XP3 hands down. Had a fluval 404 back in the day, and the xp3 is a lot quieter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just got a fluval 405 - but am rethinking my purchase. The woman at petsmart said that it is easier to prime the 405. Is the xp3 hard to prime? I can't believe the price at Jlaquatics - I guess there is shipping on top. I paid $199 for the 405 - so I could get a XP4 for the same price.

·
Registered
742 Posts
XP3 is SUPER easy to prime. just pour water in the spout and keep pouring until there's no more bubbles and you're set to go.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Yup XP3 is no fuss priming. Tried to reprime my Fluval 405 last night. Water in the output hose. Took a bit of monkeying around with.

My first canister was a new Fluval 405. Also cannot resist a FX5 at an unbelievable price. Have several used XP3. Fluvals are ok. but still prefer the REna XP.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just went through all this myself, I ended up going with the Fluval 405, I thought it worked great, had some priming issues on setup, some parts do not feel as well built as they should be, but it is quiet (faint drone) and seems to do a great job filtering.

I then got the Eheim pro 3 2075 (thanks to the reccomendation of 2wheels) I can tell you this is a much better filter than the Fluval 405 in my opinion, I cannot hear it, it primes easily and seems built with quality, they are on sale right now for right around the same cost of a fluval 405, and they DO NOT come with those ugly green spray bars! nice smoke colored ones. This would be my pick for your tank

The Rena was also on my list, I think I would have gone for it over the fluval if it was not for the athetics of the input/output assembly, and the fantastic buy I got on the FLuval 405.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The 2075 is a smoking deal right now. Like 30% cheaper than the 2028 I got 5 years ago at Big Al's. :( If I needed a filter, I'd get one for sure. I've been thinking about getting it anyway, but I think my wife would kill me as I already have 3 to spare. :D

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
In my eheim 2228 and 2075 filters i'm using impellers from 2 ehiem 2080 and the flow rate are a lot better . So if you want more flow rate in your xp3 jst upgrade your impeller and it will give you the flow rate you desire and it won't cost that much to do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts